Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im getting my rebuilt trans tomorrow, and i need to get some new transmission oil, should i get castrol dex/merc ? or should i get something else?

remember i need to get like 16 quarts

thanks

·
Registered
1996 EB 5.8L, E4OD, 2.5" RC Lift, 33" tires, 4.11 gears
169 Posts
So im getting my rebuilt trans tomorrow, and i need to get some new transmission oil, should i get castrol dex/merc ? or should i get something else?

remember i need to get like 16 quarts

thanks
I use mercon V in my e4od and the valvoline full synthetic transfer case fluid in the bw1356. I think there is a thread around here discussing the valvoline transfer case fluid that may be worth a search and read.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use mercon V in my e4od and the valvoline full synthetic transfer case fluid in the bw1356. I think there is a thread around here discussing the valvoline transfer case fluid that may be worth a search and read.
im tempted to use valvoline transfer case fluid, let me see if i can check out that thread

·
Registered
1996 EB 5.8L, E4OD, 2.5" RC Lift, 33" tires, 4.11 gears
169 Posts
im tempted to use valvoline transfer case fluid, let me see if i can check out that thread

Here is a link that talks about the different fluids for Ford TCs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dexron III is compatible to original fluid since Ford doesn't offer it anymore. No need to go Motorcraft if you don't feel like it.

·
Moderator and Scrounger Extraordinaire
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
19,433 Posts
I run carquest generic multi-atf in my 96 c6. I bought a 5 gallon bucket when i was going through a gallon every couple weeks. Finlay found a broken part on the c6 case.

·
TTB FTW
978 Posts
dont use mercon V in a transfer case. it would be fine for the transmission though. I would just run dex/merc. like mobil d/m. summit has cases of 6 quarts for $20.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
dont use mercon V in a transfer case. it would be fine for the transmission though. I would just run dex/merc. like mobil d/m. summit has cases of 6 quarts for $20.

mercon V will not harm the t-case. Mercon V will work for anything that originally called for mercon fluid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.