Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im getting my rebuilt trans tomorrow, and i need to get some new transmission oil, should i get castrol dex/merc ? or should i get something else?

remember i need to get like 16 quarts

thanks

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
What trans? E4OD?

i would use motorcraft mercon V in both the t-case and trans

·
Registered
1996 EB 5.8L, E4OD, 2.5" RC Lift, 33" tires, 3.55 gears
136 Posts
So im getting my rebuilt trans tomorrow, and i need to get some new transmission oil, should i get castrol dex/merc ? or should i get something else?

remember i need to get like 16 quarts

thanks
I use mercon V in my e4od and the valvoline full synthetic transfer case fluid in the bw1356. I think there is a thread around here discussing the valvoline transfer case fluid that may be worth a search and read.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use mercon V in my e4od and the valvoline full synthetic transfer case fluid in the bw1356. I think there is a thread around here discussing the valvoline transfer case fluid that may be worth a search and read.
im tempted to use valvoline transfer case fluid, let me see if i can check out that thread

·
Registered
1996 EB 5.8L, E4OD, 2.5" RC Lift, 33" tires, 3.55 gears
136 Posts
im tempted to use valvoline transfer case fluid, let me see if i can check out that thread

Here is a link that talks about the different fluids for Ford TCs.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dexron III is compatible to original fluid since Ford doesn't offer it anymore. No need to go Motorcraft if you don't feel like it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dexron III is compatible to original fluid since Ford doesn't offer it anymore. No need to go Motorcraft if you don't feel like it.
i got dex/merc since i read the specs and its for pre 1996 cars and its the supstitued for dexron l l l

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, BW1356 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears, 31x10.5 Kenda A/T
905 Posts
When or did the C6 go from Type F to Dex/merc?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,330 Posts
I run carquest generic multi-atf in my 96 c6. I bought a 5 gallon bucket when i was going through a gallon every couple weeks. Finlay found a broken part on the c6 case.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
dont use mercon V in a transfer case. it would be fine for the transmission though. I would just run dex/merc. like mobil d/m. summit has cases of 6 quarts for $20.

mercon V will not harm the t-case. Mercon V will work for anything that originally called for mercon fluid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts