Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 86 recently and a lot of parts.I'm up on my 94 but not this one.Both transfer cases came with it 208/NP-435's.Correct?And a c-6 automatic transmissin.Right?
The truck had no motor in it when I bought it,just the 4 speed manual trans and tranfer case hanginging in it.But the bellhousing on it is 6" center to center on the top holes and the bell on the automatic is five and a quarter inches center to center.
The automatic came out of a 85 doner bronco with a 351w factory four barrel that most auto parts say is a HO motor because of a four barrel.I dont buy that shit!
Any way,what is this bellhousing for?And am I correct on the rest of the above?Here are some pics.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
The t-cases are Np208's. The auto tranny is a C-6. The manual looks liek a NP435 as well. You can check the tech library at Motive gear for pics and ID. Not sure on the bellhousing, but I would compare the engine side of it with that of the C-6. If the bolt pattern is the same, it will fit the same motor as the C-6, i.e., a big block or small block motor. The 84-86 Bronco 351W did come with an H.O. option, with a factory 4 barrel intake and Holley 4-bbl 4180 carb. JSM84

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/tranny_guide.html

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea,the motor has a factory 4 barrel intake and what looks like a 600 style holley carb.Also looking like its factory with all the bullshit on it.
The engine side of the bellhousing on the 4 speed is 6 inches center to center on the top 2 bolt holes like I said,compaired to the 5 an a quarter on the c-6 that came off the 351w.So there is no telling what the bell is for I guess.

Thank for the info

P.S. Can this NP/435 handle the 351?

·
Registered
120 Posts
have you read the sticky on tranny info? that helped me a ton with what tranny t case i had and what would and would not work with my 302. the tranny info is on the first page the t case info is on the second to last page i believe. my buddy is running a NP435 on his 302 supercharged mustang motor and has not had any problems (It is in a jeep if that matters). im guessing it has about the same HP as a 351 if not a little more.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics of the starter mounting spot on the bell for the 4 speed.Looks like 3 small bolts hold it on,whatever it's for?The whole bellhousing has a wider bolt pattern than the C-6 off the 351.Maybe it's for a jeep or something.
I need a flywheel and bellhousing for the np 435 to go on the winsor to if any one near has one.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Looks liek your mystery bellhousing is either for a big block (351M or 400) from an earlier-model Bronco, or like you say another brand of vehicle. The smallblock engines like the 302 and 351W have the same bolt pattern, and both the auto and manual trannies will mate to either if they came off a 302 or 351W. i have a couple of bellhousings for an NP435 for a big block, but it'll be a while till I can get back to you on the measurements (next week). The NP435 will handle the HP, but both bellhousings are cracked, and have been repaired once before. JSM 84

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,982 Posts
Yeah thats not a 300/302/351w pattern on that 435. Chevy maybe?

And like stated above, HO is a factory option...

Adrianspeeder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts