Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I assume it’s a C6 automatic in it now, you could swap in a AOD, a MO5RD, ZF5, SM456(?). All are going to need a different transmission cross member and drive shafts, plenty of information here on transmission swaps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume it’s a C6 automatic in it now, you could swap in a AOD, a MO5RD, ZF5, SM456(?). All are going to need a different transmission cross member and drive shafts, plenty of information here on transmission swaps.
Sorry should have been more specific. Yes auto. I have to confirm if c6. I was looking at our local junkyards and noticed things like a 94 ecoline with a 5.8 with 3speed auto trans. And a 93 ecoline with a 5.8 w/ 4speed (maybe 4speed?, think could be typo because says 3spd too). There is a lack of 5.8 fords at this time there.

Would these possibly work? Id like to keep as stock as possible.

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,868 Posts
What other ford vehicles would have the same trans?

Found a c6 with 20k but was mated to a 460, i guess this would not work?
You'd need a C6 with a small block Ford bellhousing, so one that was previously mated to a 302, 351, or 300 straight 6.

There are other trans options, but that is what you'd be looking for if you're wanting to stay with a C6.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,670 Posts
The van transmission would be 2 wheel drive, so a conversion would need to be done.

Easiest would be another C6. AOD is possible too without swapping computers. But crossmember and driveshafts would altered or swapped.

Any 73-96 ford truck could have a C6. 88 and prior are much more common to have the C6.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,159 Posts
Also really need to pay close attention to what the length is on the adapter between your c6 and possible donors. There where various combos and the output shafts ARE different lengths. You will need the one that matches yours. This is less of an issue if you stay in the 80+ range of things when looking to pull.

That Said a C6 is not overly complex, have you looked into getting your current one rebuilt? Due to their more simple design it may not be all that bad, should be less then $1k for a good rebuild, taking the trans to the person. I seriously doubt you have messed up any of the hard parts in yours and all its needs is some a good cleaning, new clutches, new band, new/rebuilt pump, and a convertor and you'd be good to go...

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,670 Posts
From what ive read,this requires tearing into the trans to swap the 4wd shaft into? Is that correct?
Yup. The output shaft is the very first thing to go in and last to come out of the trans. So the entire geartrain must come out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup. The output shaft is the very first thing to go in and last to come out of the trans. So the entire geartrain must come out.
So i guess my question now would be since i cannot find a 4wd c6 trans around here, would it make sense to just rebuild the one we have? If id have to tear into the 2wd trans (that i cannot confirm even works,just a fellows word) to replace the shaft, kind of seems like a gamble to begin with plus work.. ive read the c6 is not too terribly complicated and viewed a video of tear down..

·
Premium Member
1991 XLT. 5.0, E4OD, manual transfer case, 4.10 LS, factory manual lockouts
904 Posts
if you were to pull the transmission and take it to a reputable shop and have it rebuilt you would be miles ahead. Ask around for opinions on transmission shops. Most guys here dislike mass market parts stores, i.e. AutoZone, but most of them have a commercial sales manager who could recommend a shop to rebuild your transmission. Go to several if possible, get a few opinions. I had the C6 in my 89 rebuilt in Wisconsin when I lived there and found the shop through word of mouth. And he was cheap. 600 to pull it, rebuild it, and reinstall it. Never find a deal like that now.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,159 Posts
yes Agree completely on just getting yours rebuilt. Just make sure some kind of warranty on their work.

On the extreme side you could just buy one from someone like Broader, a 750hp rated 4x C6 is only 1700. This is one thing I really like about these transmissions, is the built ones are not all that bad. In comparison to a E4OD of the same power holding, its less then half.

·
Addicted to Junk
17,670 Posts
So i guess my question now would be since i cannot find a 4wd c6 trans around here, would it make sense to just rebuild the one we have? If id have to tear into the 2wd trans (that i cannot confirm even works,just a fellows word) to replace the shaft, kind of seems like a gamble to begin with plus work.. ive read the c6 is not too terribly complicated and viewed a video of tear down..
Yes, skip the 2wd stuff and just rebuild yours. A guy over on the FordSix.com forums by the name of HitmanX could walk you step by step through it. Idk squat about building an automatic.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
he could also use a e4od or 4r70w. would need the right ecm or a stand alone controller. the e4od i think shares size with a c6 so if he did go that route he wouldnt need to change crossmembers or driveshafts. just need a 90-91 ecm and a overdrive lockout switch mounted somewhere and maybe some wiring.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,159 Posts
he could also use a e4od or 4r70w. would need the right ecm or a stand alone controller. the e4od i think shares size with a c6 so if he did go that route he wouldnt need to change crossmembers or driveshafts. just need a 90-91 ecm and a overdrive lockout switch mounted somewhere and maybe some wiring.
E4OD is longer, however those parts are easier to come by then the C6 stuff. I know this having went the other way e4od to c6 in my '92.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
E4OD is longer, however those parts are easier to come by then the C6 stuff. I know this having went the other way e4od to c6 in my '92.
i see that. my bad. so the c6 is actually about 21 inches and the aod is 22. so will a aod or 4r70w swap without mods i wonder? i was thinking one of the trans did but for some reason i thought it was the e4od. i know the 4r70w and the aod are same in size but now im curious as to the c6 vs those too. ive never fooled with a c6 really. if i had one id rip it out for some od trans.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i see that. my bad. so the c6 is actually about 21 inches and the aod is 22. so will a aod or 4r70w swap without mods i wonder? i was thinking one of the trans did but for some reason i thought it was the e4od. i know the 4r70w and the aod are same in size but now im curious as to the c6 vs those too. ive never fooled with a c6 really. if i had one id rip it out for some od trans.
The C6 is the shortest of all of the transmissions, so going to any other transmission requires a different cross member and new drive shafts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts