Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a switch on the 93 tranny's that can lead to potential problems if it's not functioning properly? I just had a rebuild and it cost me an extra $70 for some so-called switch.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I would think its The MLPS. Its the switch/sensor that controls when and how the gears shift. If not working....You may shift in and out of gear. I needed to have mine replaced because i would be doing 75 on the freeway, it would kick into neutral for just long enough for it cause to cause a violent Buck when it kicked back into drive.

Its worth it to know that you had the tranny rebuilt, and that the mlps switch is new and working properly.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
I would have to agree.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll second the MLPS Sensor, although I believe on a 93' it's just a Neutral Safety Switch. The MLPS works in conjunction with the computer on 94's and later years. I just replaced the MLPS on my 94' and it's unbelievable how many problems that little part can cause. My transmission felt as if it was slipping over the course of a year and getting worse with time. It's basically a sudden neutral condition as described above. Anyhow, considering my truck has 215K on it, I thought the tranny was probably about shot. Good thing I have a reputable and honest tranny mechanic! Gee, how many people do you think have taken their truck to the dealer or Amaco and told they need a tranny rebuild when all they needed was a new sensor?!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
BGL when your sensor went, were you getting code from your EEC, how did you figure it was just the sensor??

·
Registered
12 Posts
jermil01: When I took the truck to my tranny guy he got no codes for the MLPS. So, when I got my truck back that left me scratching my head. I did some research on some other BBs and there were a lot of fingers pointing to the MLPS. It's a part that eventually wears out so I figured it would be worth the gamble. Paid off. Here's a link with some info on the MLPS you should find helpful:

http://www.transonline.com/transDigest/magazines/1998-10/Shift Pointers/index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts