Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about the remote trans filter I want to put one on my machine. I also want to instal a temp guage. Which is better electrical or mechanical?
I was thinking of putting a trans cooler on also, but I got to looking and there is a big cooler in front of the radiator already. I'm think that the guy who had it before me ordered it witha bigger cooler on it. My Bronco was used in a snow plow bussiness in AK. Just to make sure is there anyone with pics of their factory trans cooler?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
The factory trans cooler is on the left, don't worry about the one on the right, that one I added for power steering.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
NDIXIE said:
so if I have a factory cooler do I need to add another one? It just I hear everyone installing one.
Are you going to be towing heavy loads all the time? I certainly wouldn't bother, the factory one is just fine. I think what you've been reading is people who don't have one, installing one along with a remote filter.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
NDIXIE said:
After reading about the remote trans filter I want to put one on my machine. I also want to instal a temp guage. Which is better electrical or mechanical?
I was thinking of putting a trans cooler on also, but I got to looking and there is a big cooler in front of the radiator already. I'm think that the guy who had it before me ordered it witha bigger cooler on it. My Bronco was used in a snow plow bussiness in AK. Just to make sure is there anyone with pics of their factory trans cooler?
If you already have a cooler

like Shadowfax says it's money better spent getting the remote filter on there now and maybe upgrade to a bigger B&M Supercooler later, if you think you need it for Georgia.

There's no doubt a mechanical gauge is slightly better, but it's an awful hassle finding a place to put the sensor.

The electrical ones just screw into the middle hole in a remote filter housing and that's awful easy IMO.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thats nice to know I already have a factory cooler, and I asked on here once before and someone told me all the BKO's had them from the factory. Apparently not. I think mine had one since mine does have the factory tow package. And from what I now understand the tow packages include the following extras.

1) Tranny cooler
2) Rear sway bar
3) Quad front shocks
4) Factory relay with bumper connection for trailer wiring(old round style connector)
5) I'm not sure on this one but mine has one of those class three undercarriage receiver(not sure if that was factory)

So as far as I know if you had the tow package it came with those options, maybe more???

But its good to know I just need a remote filter.

Do you have to get the remote filters especially for trannys or will the same ones as for the engine will work.

I noticed the remotes for trannys have their own filters, and they are more expensive to buy the filters than the remote oil filter kits for engines.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
But its good to know I just need a remote filter.

Do you have to get the remote filters especially for trannys or will the same ones as for the engine will work.

I noticed the remotes for trannys have their own filters, and they are more expensive to buy the filters than the remote oil filter kits for engines.

That's right, not all Broncos had the factory tranny cooler, and some of the earlier coolers were pretty wimpy...that one on the right in my pic is a tranny cooler from an '89 AOD (bout half the size of my E4OD super cooling/tow package cooler)...I would have upgraded that. But it makes an awesome power steering cooler.

You don't need a remote filter. If you want one that's fine, it certainly won't hurt, UNLESS (and I've warned about this before), you don't change that filter per the recommended interval, or if you go using filters you shouldn't. So what I see happening is if the filter is expensive, folks will let it stay on there longer, and effectively begin to clog/impede fluid flow. Now that wouldn't be good for your tranny would it? You'd effectively be causing more harm than good. So if you go this route, better do it properly, and maintain it.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Shadofax said:
some of the earlier coolers were pretty wimpy...that one on the right in my pic is a tranny cooler from an '89 AOD (bout half the size of my E4OD super cooling/tow package cooler)...I would have upgraded that. But it makes an awesome power steering cooler.
UhOh, minesan 89 AOD, So I guess I got the little wimpy one, is it worth leaving on mine or should I upgrade. Although I never tow, I may need to maybe a couple times a year. Now I need to go look and see if mine is indeed the little one.

Is the little one better than none at all?:shrug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts