Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It equals that I forgot how wet the ground is, and got stuck.

:banghead I didn't put the front drive shaft back in before I did this....

When i turned to start through, my buddy asked "whatcha doing?" and I said "probably something stupid" :toothless :histerica :twak

The spot is a trail crossing across our main road, its(well, was) the solid spot between 2 water/mud holes. last time I almost got stuck and screwed my trans, I went across this spot(dry) in the run up into the water hole... It rained for 2 weeks straight between then and now, I know it would be softer, and a little mushy... But I forgot just how HARD it had rained. It still Looked dry.. so I basicaly dug that entire hole... Man, those tire bite good!

If I had had 4x4 it would have crawled right through this, no problem. but when it bogged, and I rocked it a few times(several of which I could have backed all the way out if I had wanted to go back ;) )

I made the mistake of turning in one rocking to try a lower slope out the front... but that put me backing into the main hole. :twak

I got the rut too deep, and pulled the front back to far, dropped down into where the rear was digging:banghead and then couldn't push the front back out of it. Ooops.

I called a ride, and got half of the mile home, going to get the F250... My buddy Ike that stayed with the rig called me and said somebody finally stopped to help(was like 20 cars go by in the time I spent rocking it and the being stuck) so I went back.. Big late model GMC on 33s with dry mud down the sides.. :rockon Chain and a light tug and I was back on pavement..

The front drive shaft is going back in today. Even if I am 100% sure I can do something in 2x, I want 4x4 available for getting out.

I need some practice. its been 5 years since I been mudding, and then it was ATVs(and I was good at it with them... even 2 wheel drive..) but I ain't never done this in a truck... its a little different, and I'm rusty anyway.

Good news is, the C6 is better than its ever been since I've owned it, no slip, chatter or anything bad in any of this. :chili: I did feel a new vibration coming home afterward.. I got to check the rear end/driveshaft joints this weekend.

Stupid to go in 2 wheel drive? Yeah... But one hell of a lot of fun along the way.. :toothless

Rear wheels, its mostly water and grass, but I figure I was in about 7" or 8" of loose mud too... not sticky, both wheels would spin free, as shown by the next pic, rooster tailed a bit into the road..

Here is the front left, just sitting on flat ground...

The frond right sitting in the trench dug by the back. at this point I couldn't turn to work the steering while trying to get out.

The hole

Realy ain't bad, just with out the front pulling, I was sunk once I dropped that front wheel in the rut and lost all rear traction.

G.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hankooks are great!
But then again I haven't got anything to compare them to, their my first mud tires.

They dig well(in this case it was a little too well... ), I got backed half way out from that same distance into there, in and out 3 or 4 times before I got that front wheel caught, even then I had traction for a bit. Enough traction to create 1/2" flex at the slip yoke on the drive shaft, and 1/4" rotational play too. (thats the new vibration I think)

I drove a different route through the main hole there a few weeks ago, 45ft. +/- straight through the existing foot+ of mud in 2 wheel drive, even backed up and stopped in the middle of it... They dig to the bottom, grip and go.

Without any spin though they seem to load fairly easy in dryer mud, but it takes just verry slight spin to clear them; about the same as most other low end MTs I've seen guys run..

G.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa!

I remember once it snowed in July, the 3rd or 4th...Like 1/2 an inch, then burned it off that afternoon in 90deg sun....

How late is the first winter snow for you guys anyway? I have to wait till late Sept before I start to worry about wheeling in the white stuff(that will be a real test of those Hankooks!)

G.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
double taps, make double posts...:doh0715:

·
Need a Bumper?
5,055 Posts
Whoa!

I remember once it snowed in July, the 3rd or 4th...Like 1/2 an inch, then burned it off that afternoon in 90deg sun....

How late is the first winter snow for you guys anyway? I have to wait till late Sept before I start to worry about wheeling in the white stuff(that will be a real test of those Hankooks!)

G.
If it snows up to July 4th its considered the last snow of the season. After July 4th is the First snow of the season. Usually around late Sep. is when we can start seing snow. Around Oct. Nov. It doesn't go away. (6-8 ft isn't uncommon to have on the ground.) Starts melting off around May-June. Then we have Mud Season. Around June 15 summer starts. It doesn't get much above 80deg. Thats why I was asking about the Hankooks. I have Swampers on my bronco but its a trail rig. My DD is an 04 f250 v10 with 6in lift and currently running 35" BFG AT's. I'm not very happy with the way they handle in the snow also they only come in a D load range and the Hankooks come in an E range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.