Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in Swapping out my stock transfer case and transmission for an upgrade. Preferably something I can pull out of another truck at the junk yard, but if this not the best idea let me know. I am building my truck, and I am not as mechanically savvy as I would like to me. I didn't grow up with someone teaching me mechanics, so I am slowly learning everything now. I have a 95 Bronco with the 351W and E4od, 6" lift. About to do a SAS with 4 Link, lockers and gears to push 38".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nor problem man. Brother in law lives near a huge pull it yourself junk yard and everything seems to be pretty cheap there, cant say the same for the area of Florida I live in, damn Jeepers with their little rigs think they all need the Dana 60. Just doing some research before I start ripping stuff apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a good idea. Aside from waiting to just break it, when I could sell, if even for a little, my good parts to someone that needs them instead of breaking. I am the kind of person that likes to do it right while I am at it, even if it costs, and not have to worry about getting stuck with something breaking. I would rather make it bulletproof and save myself the worry. As for the TTB, I have a little wander when going down the road, told that is a problem that will not go away with a lifted TTB. Wife drives this too, so I would rather just SAS and build it so it rides and performs better. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
What's wrong with the E4OD? Ford put that same transmission behind the Powerstroke diesel and many people have built up the engines and had zero issues with the tranny. Put a cooler and a fliter on it, watch the temps and it'll easily take anything you can dish out. Also, if you don't do something to fix the computer, it's going to throw codes and be upset when it doesn't see a transmission connected to it anymore.

The 1356 is in a similar boat. Doesn't have many thrills, but is reliable. If it's not the electric shift on the fly, there isn't very much that breaks. It's got its issues like anything else, but overall is a good transfer case. Unless your looking for seriously lower gearing or a shorter drivetrain I don't see the point of swapping them out if there's nothing wrong with them.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
What's wrong with the E4OD? Ford put that same transmission behind the Powerstroke diesel and many people have built up the engines and had zero issues with the tranny. Put a cooler and a fliter on it, watch the temps and it'll easily take anything you can dish out. Also, if you don't do something to fix the computer, it's going to throw codes and be upset when it doesn't see a transmission connected to it anymore.

The 1356 is in a similar boat. Doesn't have many thrills, but is reliable. If it's not the electric shift on the fly, there isn't very much that breaks. It's got its issues like anything else, but overall is a good transfer case. Unless your looking for seriously lower gearing or a shorter drivetrain I don't see the point of swapping them out if there's nothing wrong with them.
:stupid

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, my brother in law has been surfing the u-pull near him in Texas, looking for parts for his own builds, so I have him looking for me as well.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I would keep both. They both live fine behind power stroke's and the trans can be built.
If you don't offroad you don't need to swap the T-case. If you do, there is a new 1356 doubler coming out soon. The trans can be BUILT with lots of high strength parts including strong enough to handling drag racing and sled pulling diesels.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
I would keep both. They both live fine behind power stroke's and the trans can be built.
If you don't offroad you don't need to swap the T-case. If you do, there is a new 1356 doubler coming out soon. The trans can be BUILT with lots of high strength parts including strong enough to handling drag racing and sled pulling diesels.
You don't need a doubler to go offroad, especially since he has an automatic. the 1356 already has a 2:69 low range. A doubler is always nice to have if you have a manual. The 1356 is a strong tcase as is, and has been used in every manner of vehicle on this forum from mild to wild.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
You don't need a doubler to go offroad, especially since he has an automatic. the 1356 already has a 2:69 low range. A doubler is always nice to have if you have a manual. The 1356 is a strong tcase as is, and has been used in every manner of vehicle on this forum from mild to wild.

Ya I know, but he seems hell bent on upgrading no matter what. Just pointing out it can be "upgraded" if you really insist on it.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
What's wrong with the E4OD? Ford put that same transmission behind the Powerstroke diesel and many people have built up the engines and had zero issues with the tranny.
Then why is it they all say the tranny is the weakest point in the Powerstrokes?
The 4R100 is supposed to be just a revamped E4OD.. I can't say my 4R100 gave me issues but I can tell ya the TC imploded and caused me a full tranny rebuild.. :cry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts