Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy made the Vega, Ford made the E40D... and Ford also used very soft aluminum when they made the drain/fill plugs for the transfer case - btw i know that Borg Warner made it but ford said ok to it-..... Now that my transfer case is empty i cant get the now stripped square drive plug out of the transfer case to fill it because as difficult as it is to strip a square drive plug, i did. The threads are fine, the square drive is rounded, Any suggestions on how to get this thing out ?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Chevy made the Vega, Ford made the E40D... and Ford also used very soft aluminum when they made the drain/fill plugs for the transfer case - btw i know that Borg Warner made it but ford said ok to it-..... Now that my transfer case is empty i cant get the now stripped square drive plug out of the transfer case to fill it because as difficult as it is to strip a square drive plug, i did. The threads are fine, the square drive is rounded, Any suggestions on how to get this thing out ?

chevy made the vega, ford made the e4od, and god knows who made the incompetant shadetree mechanic.

the only way you would not be labeled such is if you were not the goof that torqued that drain/fill plug in, in the first place.

It only needs to be hand tight (about 20ftlbs). why do people crank these things in?

Your quesion....an easy out now that it's stripped? good luck in any case.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
I dont know how you can torque it so far but not pass right through the hole,
oh wait its N.P.T ?
How the fudgecicles do you strip one of those ?
He stripped the square inner. It's actually not a good fit for a 3/8th drive square as I recall, but it can certainly be used to get the plug out since it's close, as long as it's not torqued in tightly, in which case you easily make the square hole a round one.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
He stripped the square inner. It's actually not a good fit for a 3/8th drive square as I recall, but it can certainly be used to get the plug out since it's close, as long as it's not torqued in tightly, in which case you easily make the square hole a round one.
what is the correct tool designed to remove the plug then?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
I'll go look at mine tomorrow again to check fit. I've always used the 3/8ths square drive as I recall, but that's only because I put the plug in about 20ft/lb, so it doesn't take much for removal, and there is no worry about leaking if you just snug it.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw what a bad fit the 3/8 drive was so I broke up a razorblade to shim the difference.... it did not help, it was like butter. I did not install them- I wonder if a npt tap would fit snug in the square drive hole ? Ill see tomorrow.... Me. my common sense, and my 'ol friend vicoden......

·
Registered
3,213 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts

If it's like 1/2 the 4X4's out there, the plug has probably never been removed and is for all intents and purposes, corroded in place. If you know anyone with a tig welder(or even a mig w/aluminum wire), you could weld a chunk of aluminum rod into the once-square hole and use that to spin it out. No, wait, is the plug aluminum or steel? If it's steel it's even easier. Heat up the case around the plug boss with a propane torch, if you've got any kind of grip left (vice grips or otherwise) it should come right out.

Greg

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
10mm male square drive.

I have this set-
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/v8t3304.html

I haven't run across a plug I couldn't remove, even when a 3/8" has rounded it out. I put the 10mm in there and hammer on it lightly until it's fully seated then use an impact in short bursts to back it out. The impact helps me use my full body weight to keep the socket in place whereas using a regular wrench it's hard to turn it and keep it pushed in hard.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
If it's like 1/2 the 4X4's out there, the plug has probably never been removed and is for all intents and purposes, corroded in place. If you know anyone with a tig welder(or even a mig w/aluminum wire), you could weld a chunk of aluminum rod into the once-square hole and use that to spin it out. No, wait, is the plug aluminum or steel? If it's steel it's even easier. Heat up the case around the plug boss with a propane torch, if you've got any kind of grip left (vice grips or otherwise) it should come right out.

Greg
the plug is aluiminum/magnesium like the case.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought a used tcase that had one rounded out. I hammered a t60 torx bit into it and it came out easy enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.