Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to a conclusion that the reason for the horrible gas mileage, and the sound of the front driveshaft spinning is that my 4x4 isnt disengaging. I have manual hubs with pushbutton 4x4, when i push the button for 4x4 i dont hear to feel it engaging, but lowrange i do. Is there any ideas to test this for sure, also it feels like my truck is very slow/weak. What could be causing this, the electronic switch motor on the TC? If so is it hard to replace or expensive? Thanks.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Konham said:
I have come to a conclusion that the reason for the horrible gas mileage, and the sound of the front driveshaft spinning is that my 4x4 isnt disengaging. I have manual hubs with pushbutton 4x4, when i push the button for 4x4 i dont hear to feel it engaging, but lowrange i do. Is there any ideas to test this for sure, also it feels like my truck is very slow/weak. What could be causing this, the electronic switch motor on the TC? If so is it hard to replace or expensive? Thanks.
When did you change your transfer case ATF last ?

also is it cold where you are right now ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually the front driveshaft can rotate, so it cant be the tc, its cold kinda (30-45), idk last time it was replaced. But still stuck with these problems of shitty mpg and wierd knocking sound when accellerated coming from underneath

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Konham said:
actually the front driveshaft can rotate, so it cant be the tc, its cold kinda (30-45), idk last time it was replaced. But still stuck with these problems of shitty mpg and wierd knocking sound when accellerated coming from underneath
If idk means what I think it means then it's time to heat up that fluid (by driving it) and then drop it and change it. Simple as pie and it will help for a start.

I'm a stick shifted transfer case and when I bought mine it was so hard to get into a gear range I tore the knob off trying.

Warmed it up, dropped it, filled it, did it again a week later and then a month afterwards I made the switch to fully synthetic ATF. Major improvement !

Now, every year it get's new synthetic ATF and it shifts beautifully

I know there may be other far more expensive problems facing your electric transfer case, but this will help either way and it's an inexpensive method to try first.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i will have to put that on my list of fluids to change for sure.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Konham said:
yes, the sluggishness, and mpg are likely from all the front driveshaft and front end components being driven by the trasfer case. You don't have the manual hubs locked, so it's not actually supplying power to the front wheels though. When you grab the front driveshaft and try to turn it, it won't turn? and verify the hubs are "free"? Issue is Tcase indeed engaged in 4wd high. Problem could be several things....shift motor, wiring to shift motor, switch in dash, electronic 4x4 puter in kick panel, or internal tcase problem (fluid change might help if it's been a long time since last).

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
You know for a quick fix, you can take the transfer case motor off and rotate the shaft manually. On my 1356 its even marked where what drive is at (4h, 4l and 2).

I was doing that prior to fixing my transfer case motor thats now broke again.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just checked and the front driveshaft does rotate so now i have no idea

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Konham said:
Grinding (dry) wheel bearings, sticking brake caliper, bad front end alignment (should show on tire wear), etc,etc.

I'd still change the transfer case fluid though.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah im gonna change all the fluids and replace the u-joint, hopefully that fixes most or all of the vibration and sounds, HOPEFULLY

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Konham said:
I was thinking about this more since yesterday...it might rotate since you likely have the vehicle in park, which I'm guessing may allow the chain to spin freely on the driveside of things...the only way to check this would be to have someone check for drivshaft being free while it's in gear.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats a good idea, im definately gonna have to test that

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Shadofax said:
I was thinking about this more since yesterday...it might rotate since you likely have the vehicle in park, which I'm guessing may allow the chain to spin freely on the driveside of things...the only way to check this would be to have someone check for drivshaft being free while it's in gear.
No. Mine locks as soon as i engage the t-case regardless if it's in park or not. We have the same year and same model too.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does it usually make a sound when engagin like it does in low range? because when i push 4x4 it lights up and definately is working but i hear no sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts