Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start I have a '95 with a 351w and E4OD with a manual x-case.
In the winter up here I leave my hubs locked so when I come to a stop or get ready to go around a curve I can engage the 4WD.
While in 4WD and slowing down I started noticing a slight noise that sounded like a whirling sound , kind of hard to explain the noise. I could take it out of 4WD and the noise would go away. At first I thought it was the new gears, but I installed the rear at the same time with no noise.
Now if I drive down the highway around 50mph I start hearing the noise I heard while slowing down, but much louder. I disengage the 4WD and the noise goes away.
I was just driving around here on base about 25mph and egaged the 4WD. I went around a corner to see if it would slide side ways and it did. I don't think the 4WD is engaging anymore.
I'm no expert but I think I have a transfer case problem.
Will a manual transfer case just stop working?
Also, is it hard to rebuild a tranfer case?
I just did a SAS and put 4:88s up front and in the rear. I put 35s on it also. I never heard any noise before. Could these mods just make the transfer case work harder and make me hear it now? :cry :banghead :wtf

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
from what i was told at the drivetrain shop that aftermarket gears arent as quiet as factory gears. the material is harder and more rougher so it would be more noisy.
i dont know how u did ur SAS but after i did my SAS i had the pinion angle pointing in the wrong direction (pinion angle pointing up about 2 degrees from being 0 degree with the driveshaft) and it would make alot of noise with no viberations. i've also noticed my driveshaft near the T-case would rub on the crossmember and sometimes i can hear that.
i may be wrong but check those areas just in case
good luck

Chris

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Yep, I'd bet it's due to a slight pinion angle as a result of the swap. It's very unlikely the manual 'case is not working, but easy to diagnose.........unlock the hubs, put it in 4wd and see if you can turn the front d/s by hand... you should not be able to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was in the local Ford shop and they were replacing the front hub locks on a new superduty and I asked what happened. They told me that because they were engaged all the time without the tcase driving them, they stripped out. The guy would turn them to a point that would bind the ujoint and because the ujoint was not hooked to the tranny due to being in 2wd then the wheel kept turning while the joint stayed still, poping it....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
alot of people leave their hubs locked all winter. i have done it. no problems. its not that. must be something with your DS angles.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
in fact, driving around with your hubs locked all the time is something ford recommends. my friend has a new superduty and he (not a big car nut) asked about it, and they said it would be no problem and it even would be better for the hubs.

check your pinion angle/driveshaft clearance like mentioned above.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
front, since it is only when in 4wd. Did you put a 44 in? If so, there really arent a lot of cast/pinion changes you can make. How much lift and what bushings are you running, 5 or 7 degree or less?
IMO, my case will whirr a little when coasting, I always figured it was the chain in the case or something. it was never really a problem for me.

·
Registered
1996 XLT 351W, 6 inch ProComp lift w/6 inch rear leaf, body lift, 35 inch tires, 4.56 gears
485 Posts
I have a bad front transfer case bearing and bad front driveshaft angle. After changing the 3.55 to 4.56, this was must more noticable (ie, noise starts at a lower speed) due to the faster spinning of the driveshaft. I have 6" of lift and 35" tires.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Hey AKmud... You the one that did the Fabtech bolt on SAS? I'd like to come drool on your bronco for a bit :)

Ya Bet it's a driveline issue. If ya want me to come help ya figure it out let me know. You'll just have to get me on base..

We need to get on the trails together this summer by the way!!! 3 SAS broncos on the trail at the same time.. How cool would that be.. :) Hurry up slim!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Bronco85 said:
We need to get on the trails together this summer by the way!!! 3 SAS broncos on the trail at the same time.. How cool would that be.. :) Hurry up slim!
Im waiting on my tax return to finish it. I still have to rebuild this thing also. i got all the parts i have been lazy and dont feel like messing with it until it warms up. but yea that would be cool to hit the trails with 3 of em. I can also come help if you need it. I am already on base, so that is not an issue for me.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I got the bronco dug out yesterday. 5' snow bank about half was ice:) Ya gotta love snow... And it's leakin Anti freeze for some reason.. ****er breaks even when I'm not driving it.

Turns out I may have to make new brackets for the arms. As they end up a couple inches inside the frame.. This is what chris85xlt told me.

AKmud I'm in Eagle River.

Taxes!! Hmm.. Wonder if I can afford a tank of gas this year with what I'll get back.. Probably not but I can always dream.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Bronco85 said:
I got the bronco dug out yesterday. 5' snow bank about half was ice:) Ya gotta love snow... And it's leakin Anti freeze for some reason.. ****er breaks even when I'm not driving it.

Turns out I may have to make new brackets for the arms. As they end up a couple inches inside the frame.. This is what chris85xlt told me.

AKmud I'm in Eagle River.

Taxes!! Hmm.. Wonder if I can afford a tank of gas this year with what I'll get back.. Probably not but I can always dream.
Check your radiator hose connections first. Mine just all of a sudden developed a little leak...I was like WTF? since the radiator is pretty new, turns out with the cold spell we just went through, and those screw type hose clamps, I had several clamps that were not tight, soon as I tighted it back up, no more leak.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I drained the fluid out of the tcase this past weekend. The fluid looked brownish and a shit load of brass flakes came out with it :shocked ( the mix did look kinda cool when the light hit it). Stand back I'm going in. I found a cool site with a lot of pic where a guy rebuilt a BW1356. I will post it ASAP. I too will take pics. Bronco85 what are you doing this weekend? You want to go on this little adventure with me. My email address is [email protected] let me know. The rebuild kit is about $75 and the chain is about $102 at Young's Gear. I pick it up on Friday. I'm thinking of replacing the pump while I have it apart, coments please? :rockon

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Ya dude I'll come and play:)

My numbers 696-0696.. Give me a ring. I just want to be home around noon gotta put the bronco in the garage when it's warm:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.