Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after getting buried up to my head lights i have been changing my fluids. i just drained my T-case(which by the way looked like chocolate milk)

and Napa told me 2 quarts would fill my t-case. was he retarted? because that seems like way to much, after it started pouring out, just after 1 qt. seems like 1.25 qts would do it. but yet that doesnt seem like alot

i didnt see anything in the sticky

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just fill until it comes out. Its foolproof.
Thats what my dads been doing on all his trucks for 25+ years, thats the way ive done it. If you want to try differently tell us if your t-case grenades or the chain breaks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Maybe didn't get all the old stuff out? Was the truck fairly level?
I've never really thought about it before... just did as the guys before me said, fill er up til it comes out.

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe didn't get all the old stuff out? Was the truck fairly level?
I've never really thought about it before... just did as the guys before me said, fill er up til it comes out.
possibly. the stuff in there was pretty grimey. im taking her for a spin later on. if all goes well, i guess filling her up did just fine

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I'd drain it again, & measure what comes out this time. If you don't get ~2qt. out, you have a problem.
He said it looked like chocalate milk. So if he drove it any distance at all I'd say the best thing to do is drain again just to flush it. but, if it's in the Tcase, if the tranny breather was also not located higher, he has lots of other issues. axles as well. hubs too.:whiteflag

deep water/mud sucks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yah, you need to flush it. The fluid is pumped to the rear bearing and the rest gets 'splashed' around through the rotation of the components. The mud is thicker than the auto trans fluid so it will stick and fill necessary flow crevises.

Fill is usually with truck sitting level, tcase in stock position, and fill till it comes out of fill hole.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would take the t-case out turn it up on its side and make sure all the gunk is out of it. Mud and water in the t-case is not good. maybe even take it apart and make sure its cleaned out. In a 205 the drain hole is not the lowest point and water is heaver than oil so the oil will come out before the water if there is still some water in there.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would take the t-case out turn it up on its side and make sure all the gunk is out of it. Mud and water in the t-case is not good. maybe even take it apart and make sure its cleaned out. In a 205 the drain hole is not the lowest point and water is heaver than oil so the oil will come out before the water if there is still some water in there.
You may even want to pull it and take it apart to clean it. On my 84 Pick-up I took in some water in the T-Case, flushed it and refilled and still ended up taking it out and apart to rebuild a couple of months later.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
keep in mind it's unlikely any "mud" is in there unless the vent was open. Water could get by the seals, water certainly can get down the vent quickly. Water and old ATF (which begins to turn brownish) mixed will yield like a chocalatey milky fluid. This then gets picked up at the low filtered pickup tube inside the case, bad again since if there is gunk that got in, it will tend to block that filter. but in any case this mixture ends up everywhere inside and almost surely will require more than one drain/refill to get most of it out.

I'd suggest if not pulling the Tcase, drain/refill, drive a bit so that everthing is splashed around inside again and mixed, and then drain it again before long to see what ya got.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts