Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 XLT automatic, 5.8
Developed a nice creak that developed into a rattle. This was tracked down to the transfer case. I have never serviced a transfer case case before but with my trusty Chilton manual I pretty easily learned I was very low on fluid. I'd say maybe a cup drained out of it.
I know this isn't probably to good in my favor, but the color was brown almost like motor oil, but had a very distinct smell not anything like oil(dare I say burnt)
Now of course I drained it before I went and picked up some more to refill...doh!
So I have to wait until morning to go get some because i dont want to make things worse.
But I am anxious to see if topping this sucker off with fresh fluid will cure the rattle and let life go on normally for this old Bronc or will we be searching for a new transfer case soon.
So since I am bored on I Friday night what is the verdict? Is the Transfer case jacked or will fresh juice bring her back to life?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I once bought a transfer cast to replace one that i broke and the oil in it was exactly as you described, made me wonder if some pickle had toped it up with motor oil at some point. My case ran fine when i changed the oil so the brown oil alone probably isn't something to worry about.

Are you certain the rattle is coming from the case and not from the double cardain joint just behind the case? If you eliminated it as a suspect by trying to move it by hand that wont always work if the truck has been sitting for even a few hours. Take it for a drive for 10-15 min then try and move it.

I'm not trying to send you on a wild goose chase looking for other sources of noise when you may have already found it, I just wouldn't want you to buy a new case just to find out the noise is still there.

Stu

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm sure...I just replaced the whole driveshaft and included brand new u-joints.
That and I jacked the rear of the truck up, put it in drive and crawled under there. At first glance it was coming from that front yoke, but when i got my ear closer(quite scary with the rear tires moving and engine running, even with everything chocked) it was most definately a rattle/clanking around in the transfer case....

·
Registered
845 Posts
a few things could be wrong in the transfer case. mine made the same noise when i first got it and it turned out thst the oil pump bracket broke and was being tossed around in the case screwing up everything it touched. if your mechanically inclinedyou could manage to pull the case and open it up and take a look at whats going wrong. i pulled mine out popped it open and took it to a local drivetrain shop and they gave me every piece to fix it and told me how to. good luck. start with fluid first though and see where that gets you. and report back.

ian

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
yeahh its good you caught that. If you searched "tcase ruined my valetines day" Youll see my experience with that.
Exactly what you said, but than went away. I drove through the pass, and it was about a 180 mile round trip with the girlfriend.
Used 4x4 and everything, than on the way home it blew.

Replaced it, took it apart and it was bone dry! i was like wtf. Blew everything inside to shit
like you said though, lesson learned, changed fluids regularly :thumbup

-Vance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts