Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Transfer case rebuild time! help finding parts

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  broncofox 
#1 ·
So i decided im going to buy a second hand transfer and rebuild it over time, I need 2 things to get recomened by you guys

1. best place/deal to find the bearings/seals and oil pump kit (chain i dont need since its already 100$ just for the chain)

2. i need some one to help me do the oil pump retainer modification to weld on a rod, i dont have any friends with a welder and if i do non have a experience doing so on that metal

Thanks for the help guys and gals :)

#7 ·
So guys i got this beauty ish haha came off a 89-91 ish bronco, i know this cause it has the mechanical speedo attached to the back
i think the bearings are fine, and it looks like they changed the seals! but i might need some help with that

what should i look for? i know the wear on the pump retainer
Gas Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine Personal protective equipment
Personal protective equipment Auto part Machine Working animal Metal
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

#8 ·
So guys i got this beauty ish haha came off a 89-91 ish bronco, i know this cause it has the mechanical speedo attached to the back
i think the bearings are fine, and it looks like they changed the seals! but i might need some help with that

what should i look for? i know the wear on the pump retainer
View attachment 177761 View attachment 177762 View attachment 177763
The only seal that looks new is the RTV between the case halves... which also looks like way too much... when you open it up I would look for RTV in the chains and sprockets, as well as stuck in bearings... none of the external seals look to have been replaced.

#9 ·
The tail shaft housing from your bronco will easily swap over to the one you bought so you don't have to worry about mechanical speedo. It's been a while since I tore into a transfer case, and to be honest there isn't a lot that can go wrong with them. definitely check the oil pump retainer and do the fix, it's almost certainly going to show wear. you'll also want to check the chain for slack..most of the time they're ok and then look around for any metal shavings in the case. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.