Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the transfer case shift boot which has 4 holes mount on top of the carpet or does it go directly on the floor and the carpet has a hole the boot comes out of?

Mine was never screwed down and there's aftermarket carpet and a slit was cut but it still needs to be trimmed out so I'm not sure how it goes. I want to seal out any water and I'm not sure it would if it was on top?

I have to get a new boot also since mine is torn. I don't see any type of trim ring that they sell for the boot, did they have any trim stock? I originally thought the boot went to the floor then the carpet with a trim ring on top to hold it down. I was going to order a trim ring but I see they don't sell them so now I'm not sure how things were from the factory.

Thanks for your help!
Tom

·
ahhhh..... crap!!!
1,820 Posts
In my 91 - the shifter boot was mounted on top of the carpet - 4 screws mounted it to the floor,...

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
When I pulled the rubber floor out of mine, the boot was under the stuff. When I installed carpet, I put the boot under the carpet. When I pulled the carpet and went with a steel interior, the boot went on top of the floor pan.

:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses so far! I have a under carpet and on top of carpet....??

I found this pic online the guy was selling both the boot and ring for $30 I wish I could buy it!! It was a year ago so I'm sure it's gone. I can't tell if the boot is under the rubber floor or on top?

Anyway how is the trim attached? I don't see any screws? Or are they just not showing up in the pic?

Does anyone have a trim ring for sale or know where I can get one?? If so Please let me know

Thanks again, Tom

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
boot screws directly to the floor to seal out the elements

the carpet or floor mat then goes over it typically with a trim ring to hide the cut hole in the carpet or mat
That makes sense, but mine was on top of the carpet and really goofed up the carpet when I pulled the screws because the threads of the carpet wound around the screws as they turned out. The P.O. must have done this at some time. Now I have four floor shifters and spray in bedliner... no carpet, stock shift boot, or trim ring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
X2 for boot screws to the tunnel cover. Should have 4 screws. Carpet sits over and is cut in the same shape as the trim ring, so the trim ring hides the edges. The trim ring has a few fingers that pinch the carpet and holds the ring in place over the boot. Just make sure the carpet is cut almost perfectly around where the boot comes through so that the trim ring will sit right.

I may have an extra trim ring. I'll pm you if i find it

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X2 for boot screws to the tunnel cover. Should have 4 screws. Carpet sits over and is cut in the same shape as the trim ring, so the trim ring hides the edges. The trim ring has a few fingers that pinch the carpet and holds the ring in place over the boot. Just make sure the carpet is cut almost perfectly around where the boot comes through so that the trim ring will sit right.

I may have an extra trim ring. I'll pm you if i find it
O.K. Thanks for the info! That makes sense on the trim ring why I didn't see any screws! I have to make sure I get the carpet cut right.

yeah, boot, carpet, trim. I have a boot and trim ring. pm me if you still need one.
I think I found one but I'm sending you a PM. Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up getting 2 trim rings from members on here and I used the nicest one.

I could not find trim rings new anywhere, I just looked at Dennis Carpenter website and still can't find them. Can you post the link to their site showing the trim ring? The boot everyone sells.

Thanks, Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts