Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i have a 96 Bronco that will sometimes go into 4 wheel drive but never go into Low 4. The low 4 part doesn't bother me that much but i need some kind of 4 wheel drive to work before winter.

I have owned this Bronco for 6 years and the last few it seems sometimes it will go into 4 X 4 and sometimes it wont. I did read this link here about servicing the motor. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm
I took the motor off and cleaned the plug terminals. Had someone hit the buttons on the dash to watch and see if the motor was working. It did turn on the 4 X 4 switch but not the low. I will clean the motor and grease the gears as the video showed but was wondering how to tell why it's not working with the 4X4 button.

There are times when i press the buttons and don't hear any relays making noise. Of course it dosn't engage then either.

Where would the relays be located at inside the truck? Could that be why 4 low isn't working.
It sounds like they are under the dash but someone else mentioned behind the passenger kick panel.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Shiftster looks like a very useful product but i really don't feel like cutting a hole in my floor. When i got this Bronco it had 25,000 miles and was in great shape. Just passed 100,000 miles and it's still in great shape. I haven't did any 4 wheeling since my younger days, so now about all i need the 4 wheel drive for is winter driving.

I don't even hear a relay working when i press the 4 low button so i'm guessing that might be my problem. Now to just find it.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
The Shiftster looks like a very useful product but i really don't feel like cutting a hole in my floor.
Since when did you have to cut a hole for the Shiftster-1?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
You get down on your knees like your praying, put your arm underneath to the transfer case, and shift the shiftster.

:p

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the self test on the shift module and it says it's ok. The module clicks when i put it into 4X4 but doen't click when i try to put it into 4Low.

Is there relays somewhere to check, or maybe i should check the dash switch itself next?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts