Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying an 81 bronco to fix and sell to make some scratch. It has a 302 and an auto. Everything works except the transfer case. my question is I have a bw1356 out of a 87. Will I be able to swap it in in place of the 208? The truck is only $250 asking price. I was wondering if this is possible. Also what is it worth in fair condition. What kind of milage can I expect? I am almost sure it has a c6 behind it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that is what I figured. I am going to go check it out tonight if I get a chance. It doesn't look to bad from the pics. What kinda milage can I expect out of a 302 4sp. Correction I said auto earlier and later found out it was a 4 spd.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A 302/4 speed combo probably won't get that great of mileage. 302's need to rev to make power and when you take into account how far the gears are spread in the 4 speeds (regardless of if it's an OD or a granny low), you'd always have to be in a gear that let you get some revs at the speed you wanted to go.

Lug the motor and it'll burn alot of gas, or rev it up and it'll burn alot of gas. You need to be able to run at the motor's sweet spot.

With my setup I can be in 4th gear by 20mph and pull away unloaded. That's 800 rpm. I couldn't even imagine trying that with a 302; i'd wanna be running at least 40 (1500 rpm) before sliding it into a 1:1 gear.

Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts