Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:
First: I'm a newbie to posting, but have been reading the forums for a while, and there is a LOT of great info in here.

I've searched but couldn't find a topic with my particular problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought a 91 bronco EB with 302, E4OD and manual BW 1356. This is an upgrade from my little bronco II.

The guy i got it from says the transfer case and trans were rebuilt a few thousand miles ago, and hasnt been used much since. It drives and shifts fine in 2h and 4h, however i cannot get it to shift over to N or 4L. The shift pattern indicated is strait back for 4H, then left and down for N and down and right for 4L. I cannot get the stick to move left from 4H to save my life. I've soaked the linkage thoroughly with PBlaster, and that made shifting to 4H smoother, but i still cannot get it to budge over the the left. And yes the trainy is in N and i got my foot on the brake.

I know on some fords to shift the trans case into N you have to push down towards the ground on the stick. Could it be possible the transfer case taht was put in does not match the linkage in the truck? I've crawled under and it is a 1356, but i cant find any documentation on if it came with the different shift patterns.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is no left right, it is only foward and backward. Take your foot off the brake and let the car roll a tiny bit and see if that helps. 4L is straight back.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
The transmission needs to be in neutral, foot on the brake, and you have to push down on the t-case shifter then pull it back.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah tranny's in N, foot on break. I've tried letting it roll. The Knob on the tran case shifter is the same as my bII...you pull it strait back from 2H to 4H, then to the leftand back to N and then continue back and it goes to the right to lock into 4L it looks like this

if i try pushing down it goes back into 2H

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
No it's not like that. 4 low is straight back but you have to push the shifter down

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe someone put the wrong shifter knob on it. I dont have the manual etc that came with it so i dont have the "official" shift procedures (not on the visor either). my t-case shifter is curved to match the contours of the floor.. is kind of like a lying down S or Z shape to it.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
You said you have a BW1356 that's the stock t-case. The shifter is bent on all of them. It might be a tough to get it into 4L but using the proper procedure helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
smileybry, that is the same picture that is on my shifter, but it needs to be pulled straight back. I don't know why they show it like that when it has to go straight back. Also, you need to push the shifter down before going to the neutral position. Are you sure the shifter is going down? I have had mine stick before and had to hit it hard with my hand to get it to go down.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...maybe i'm just a retard and am used to driving the little one :duh..it has the same shift knob but you have to pull it left etc. I've tried pushing down on it but end up going back into 2H. I'll move the seats back and give it a good hard push down and rear ward when i get home..if that doesnt work i'll get under it and see if ic an pull the linkcage down. I really wanted to make sure which way it was supposed to go before i tried to put any real force behind it.

yeah Todd it looks like a stock. the guy who had it never used 4l so its probably jammed up and you guys are right. I hope i didnt sound like i was doubting anyone. I'm gonna give it a good whack :twak when i get home. i'll post you guys again tommorow.

Thanks for the quick help!:notworthy

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
ToddACimer said:
No it's not like that. 4 low is straight back but you have to push the shifter down
yeah thats what the shifter shows I have the same thing. but you are correct you just pull back. mine had the same problem when I first got it the people who had it before were an old couple who used the bronco to drive from washington to oregon. 4 wheel drive had never been used. I had to drive in 4 high then stop put the transfercase in nuetral then put the trans in nuetral and the pull on it. it popped right in now I dont have any problems with it.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
I have push button 4x4 it sucks wish i had my old bronco with stick 4x4
carry on

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
Steve83 said:
You ARE supposed to pull it left. There's a tooth that engages the guide plate, and pulling the lever L moves the tooth over the guide so you can continue back. If yours moves straight back, your tooth is either broken, worn, or stuck.

yeah your right I just went out and pulled mine. you just nudge it to the left a bit gos right in. its been a whilke since ive been in 4 L

·
Registered
239 Posts
My reference to straight back was that it isn't like shifting a manual tranny, you dont "move" the shifter to the left like it has a pattern. You are probably moving a very small distance left and probably un noticable to be honost.
I have never had to move my shifter to the left, but then again, I am sitting left and natually pull that way when I shift it, so never know. My truck has over 200000 miles on it, so it is possible it is broke. I got the truck with 100,000 and it came from TX, 4 wheel was never used until I got it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anyone got an actual copy of the shift procedures? would be handy if i lend the truck out to have something typed up other than "bitch slap shifter for 4L" then again a diagram depicting as such would be rather funny on the visor....

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
How many people that borrow your truck will actually use 4Low?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you never know if they're going to want to play around..i ride with folks who have toyotas and chevy's, and the procedures are different. its fun to swap rigs from time to time

1 - 20 of 47 Posts