Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to search. This is the problem. Should it be hard to shift into 4lo, because the other day when I needed it I couldn't getit over far enough. I'm not sure what t-case is on there, but i can tell you that it has a351w, E4OD, and it is a 90. i hope someone can give some help/advice.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Its a Borg Warner 1356 for starters (I am also assuming you know it has to be in Nuetral to shift into 4LO), I have a the same year and it used to be very stiff going into 4LO so I crawled underneath it and tore out all the linkages and lubricated all the moving parts and replaced the fluid in the case (I dont think it helped the situation but figured it was smart while I was under there, it only holds 2 quarts of ATF). There is a big ass bolt that holds part of the shift linkage to the transmisison, it runs on 2 little plastic spacers so I put some grease on that too. Anyways, when it was all said and done it shifted smoother and only took an hour or 2.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just grease the stuff and replace the fluid, how hard is it to change the fluid, i have the Haynes but they have done that stuff before so it is easy for them, and i do know it needs to be in N, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
One thing I can tell you about this.........

Once you figure out the problem, and get all the linkage nice and lubed up with your lube of choice, and you can shift into and out of 4LO with ease, you need to shift through all the positions that the T-case can go into like once or twice a month to keep the linkage happy......it works.

I just want to also say that there are some people who like the manual shift t-case over the elec shift one because of the chance of the shift motor failing. Well this is a prime example of the other side of the coin......I have seen more than my share of messed up linkage preventing the use of 4WD......I guess if it came right down to it I would take a manual shift over the electric one myself......but I just wanted to point out that both shifting systems have their flaws, and that you can reduce the chance of failure with just a bit of maintenance.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, but is it really hard to change the fluid and lube, or is it just a long time? Or is it both or niether? If you have experiance could you let me know. Oh and one last question, if that doesn't work how much is a new 13-56?

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
7,001 Posts
Fluid is a 20 minute job. Take out your fill plug and then the drain plug in that order in case you strip the fill plug. Two quarts of Mercon ATF put in with a suction gun from a parts store will have ya changed in no time.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about the lube job(I know it sounds dirty)?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
if youre referring to lubing all the linkages, its quick and easy, and requires some basic hand tools. You can change the fluid in the case and lube everything up in under an hour.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
chevysuck said:
How about the lube job(I know it sounds dirty)?
Does your shifter look like this?:

I would think that it would. In which case it can be lubed fairly easily, but I think your problem is this, ..."hould it be hard to shift into 4lo, because the other day when I needed it I couldn't getit over far enough." It does not go over to shift into 4LO with the above pictured shifter which is for an e4OD and 1356. So if you have that shifter, it's pull back (very short throw) to engage 4x4, then, push down and pull straight back (through neutral) to get into 4LO. You can also check your owners manual for proper procedure, but again if you have that shifter, your not using the mechanism properly.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay i greased the linkage, and it works fine now. What harm could it be to leave the fluid until i change all my fluids, like diff fluid and what not?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts