Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Transfer case

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  maed10 
#1 ·
Rescently going off road my four wheel drive was having problems. When put into four wheel drive it will travel for about 10 feet then "pop", and the four wheel drive would stop working. It does work in reverse. I checked the huibs to see if that was the problem, but they look fine. My bro said its my transfer case, Any suggestions?

:wtf

#5 ·
Something doesn't add up... from having a 13-56 apart I can't think of anything that would cause it to work in reverse but not forward. The tranny output shaft turns the planetary gearset which turns the t-case mainshaft. A sliding collar engages the chain to drive the front tires, and none of those parts care what direction the motor is turning. How do you know the 4wd worked in reverse?
Most 13-56 shifting problems are due to worn or missing pads on the shift forks. If the pads get worn or fall off the shift forks won't engage the gears properly and they can pop out of gear.

#6 ·
OffRoadPoser said:
Most 13-56 shifting problems are due to worn or missing pads on the shift forks. If the pads get worn or fall off the shift forks won't engage the gears properly and they can pop out of gear.
Exactly. And it's not uncommon for these to wear to a point where they can kinda-sorta sometimes hold the gear in the planetary. I'm guessing putting it in reverse loads the drivetrain up in the opposite direction and makes that gear move back into the planetary *just enough*. You hear about stuff like this all the time, there's no telling exactly what will happen when those shift forks wear........the only predictable thing is that it will be unpredictable.

What, you're MIA for months and you're suddenly allowed to get online Xmas day???????

#10 ·
maed10 said:
I know it is working in reverse because when it first happened I was in the snow, and I was getting great traction in reverse, and it also didnt "pop" in reverse at all.

What am I looking at replacing?
Well since you are goign to have to open it up anyway you might as well just rebuild it. Ass-uming the chain is not stretched too much, a bearing kit and new shift fork pads (along with a new plastic speedo gear drive and some other odds and ends) should get you back in business. There is not much too the inside of a 13-56 so rebuilding one isn't too big a deal. It would also be a good chance to check out the pump boss on the case and make sure it isn't worn. Keith L used to have some pretty good pics of his 13-56 rebuild on SuperFord, but who knows if they lost them or not.

Rade

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.