Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

New owner of an old Bronco, my first truck. Fordman my whole motoring life...

I've got a 1980 XLT with a 351M and a C6 tranny.

My question is why did the previous owner route electrical wires from what I believe is the transfer case up to and taped to the shift lever. The two ends of the wires are bare, so it looks like he'd touch them together. Isn't the transfer case manual? Why is there an electric motor mounted to the transfer case and how should this be properly wired?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
11,499 Posts
An ESOF t-case can't be converted to stick nearly as easily as just swapping in a stick, and they're getting easier to find in JYs. Have you looked locally? You can use any '80-96 Bronco t-case, OR an F-series with a fixed rear output.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately our JY's here (Hawaii) are extremely limited. No 4 x 4's that I've seen in either F150 or Bronco's in any year.

I'll try contacting one on the West Coast and see if they'll ship to me.

Any idea of what I can expect to pay?

Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes there is a shifter in the cab.. Forgive my ignorance.. but does the ESOF not use a shifter? :)

So the way its setup now my shifter doesn't work and I'm supposed to touch wires together to shift? :)

I can see why I should swap back the correct T-Case..

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
yes if the PO switched to an electric t-case the the shifter does nothing, your best bet is to climb under and snap a few pics for us, or check to see if the linkage is connected or if there is a shift motor on the t-case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes if the PO switched to an electric t-case the the shifter does nothing, your best bet is to climb under and snap a few pics for us, or check to see if the linkage is connected or if there is a shift motor on the t-case.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that tonight when I get home from work and post the photos.

Mahalo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
huhh I guess that's why I'm on this thread.. I retraced the wire.. the wires (routed from the column shifter-elec taped to it-down through the floor) are actually attaching to some round thing on the driver side of the C6 tranny, not the transfer case as I originally believed, I swear they were attached to the transfer case... anyways, any idea of why I have jury rigged wires going to a round something or other next to the shift lever on the transmission? Thx!
PS I've got photos but I can't post attachments yet-newbie?

·
Banned
11,499 Posts
Yes, it's the neutral start switch (aka NSS, PNP, MLP, MLPS, DTR, TR...). If it had no wires, it wouldn't be a switch. The wires include the starter circuit, which is how the switch keeps you from cranking in gear.
I've got photos but I can't post attachments yet-newbie?
I can't either. :toothless Go back out to the list of forums, scroll down to the one called Picture Posting, and read the thread that explains how to embed images. :deal

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turned out to be routed the back up light switch.. P.O. would touch the wires to make the BU lights go on. I just bought a replacement switch so hopefully that will take care of this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i had an issue in my 78 f150, neutral safety switch (which turned on the backup lights also) was mounted on the shift lever of the trans, when putting a motor and c6 out of a 77 f150 i ran into the problem of its neutral safety switch being mounted in the steering column instead of on the trans.... both motors started either way in gear or not so i just coiled up the wire and zip tied the switch up to the firewall out of the way and didn't worry about reverse lights

1 - 18 of 18 Posts