Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was out wheelin the other day, heard a clunk and lost power to the front wheels. I disconected the front driveshaft from the T-case, if i turn the driveshaft by hand i can see the front axles turn at the same time, so i'm assuming my problem lies in the T-case. i removed the PTO gasket/cover aswell as the "front drive output shaft rear bearing retainer" and can see nothing obvious. any ideas or suggestions?? I'm thinking i might have to pull the T-case right off the truck but would like to know what i should be looking for.....

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
stuman said:
was out wheelin the other day, heard a clunk and lost power to the front wheels. I disconected the front driveshaft from the T-case, if i turn the driveshaft by hand i can see the front axles turn at the same time, so i'm assuming my problem lies in the T-case. i removed the PTO gasket/cover aswell as the "front drive output shaft rear bearing retainer" and can see nothing obvious. any ideas or suggestions?? I'm thinking i might have to pull the T-case right off the truck but would like to know what i should be looking for.....
Gonna need details. year, what kind of tcase, etc etc. be sure and introduce yourself in the Introductions forum, and welcome to FSB :beer

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
jah is right.
go intoduce yerself.

before asking questions. use the SEARCH function before other folks start giving you some real lip about it.

you need to give us details son, about what yer runnin and what you done to it.

good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
poor intro

sry bout the bad intro! i'm alaways gettin ahead of myself.
its a NP 205 case,( with 4:1 ) if that makes sense.
"78 bronco, 6" susp., 4.11"s, detroit in the back, power lock in the front ridin on 37" boggers, eng. 351m performance carb/intake, headers, C-6 auto stg 2 shift kit.
again sry bout the quick post, the trucks in peices in the driveway, thxs for the quick welcome!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Do you still have the auto locking hubs on the truck......because if you do, I would be looking in that direction. If they turn out to be fine.....junk them anyway and put in a set of manual locking ones like Mile-Marker or Warn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tried searching the site but didnt find anything helpful to my problem. i've removed the rear driveshaft and now turning the yolks by hand everything seems to turn properly, the gears shift fine from high to low.... what else would cause the front to disingage?

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
might as well just pull it off the truck. its always easier to figure it out once its out and on a good work space. if you suspect its in the t-case, tear it down and start looking. pull the drain plug to get rid of the fluid (before you pull it from the truck) and look for metal shavings. that will tell you if the gears or bearings were eating each other. if no shavings, something else went.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Do you still have the auto locking hubs on the truck......
'still' have auto hubs on a '78???? Not. Fortunately the curse of the auto-hub had not been cast upon us yet in 1978.:toothless

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
stuman said:
i tried searching the site but didnt find anything helpful to my problem. i've removed the rear driveshaft and now turning the yolks by hand everything seems to turn properly, the gears shift fine from high to low.... what else would cause the front to disingage?
What do you mean by the gears shift fine from high to low?..have you verified that BOTH shift rods in the T-case are moving as they should when you go from 4-Lo to neutral to 2 High to 4 High? Before I jumped to removing the T-case, I would be checking that out. Have you verified that your front shaft is not 'engaged' in both 4-LO and 4-High?...

FYI..the shift rod toward the passenger side is for the rear axles and the one on the drivers side is for the front axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts