Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bronco won't catch any gear at all not even park then next day worked fine and shut it off after test run and nothing again and it wants to grind when I try to put it in park .but also when it does work it's tits shits great when dropes in gear you know it imean just the way you want it to help

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well? Without year engine transmission info you can’t get much help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my bronco won't catch any gear at all not even park then next day worked fine and shut it off after test run and nothing again and it wants to grind when I try to put it in park .but also when it does work it's tits shits great when dropes in gear you know it imean just the way you want it to help
89 v8 efi

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Sounds like the tcase is slipping in and out of neutral. Electric or manual tcase?

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Yo Christeraz,
Welcome!
As XDAILY advised; "When the transfer case is in the N (Neutral) position, the engine and transmission are disconnected from the rest of the driveline.
Therefore, the vehicle is free to roll even if the automatic transmission is in P (Park) or the manual transmission is in gear."

Identify your transmission from attached depiction.

Should be AOD or C6.
AOD is used in 1989 5.0
C6 is used in 1989 5.8

See attached AOD & C6 Basic troubleshooting guides:

For C6, check vacuum at modulator. Modulator is on the rear of the transmission, passenger side.
Pull the vacuum line off the mod. If fluid comes out of the vacuum line your modulator is no good.
Check vacuum line to modulator from engine intake manifold source.
See attached C6 troubleshooting:

Also fyi:
1356 Manual Shift, No Movement or Neutral Position Tip/Saver Spacer & pic; "...Many 1987-1995 Ford F series 4x4 trucks and full size Bronco owners with 1356 manual shift transfer cases commonly complain of a "no movement" or an occasional neutral condition. This condition is usually caused by the linkage wearing the transfer case at its point of contact (1356 manual shift models only). Sonnax offers a case saver spacer 36605-01. This case saver spacer goes between the shift selector cam and the case and requires no special tools to install. The spacer moves the cam closer to the shift fork, thus preventing and/or eliminating: 1) one or both shift forks from becoming disengaged from the shift cam, 2) "slop"from the linkage caused by a worn linkage bore in front case half. This item is a specific size/thickness not commonly found in ordinary flat washers. This repair is quick, easy and a lot less expensive than repairing or replacing the case. Model: 36605-01..."

Source: by transmichigan.com

Make your own if this is the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
89 v8 efi
5.8 it's the manual one no motor and the vacuum pump on the passenger side did not have fluid in nor coming out of it Ben having vacuum issues to it also had started shifted the next day turn it off put me o2 censor in and start it then nothing agia no gears at

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5.8 it's the manual one no motor and the vacuum pump on the passenger side did not have fluid in nor coming out of it Ben having vacuum issues to it also had started shifted the next day turn it off put me o2 censor in and start it then nothing agia no gears at
The other thing I'm now noticing is even when I put it into four-wheel drive I have to push the buttons on the dash and normally I would hear my hubs lock and they're doing absolutely nothing at all

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,767 Posts
This is a key post.

Your transmission is working because the output shaft is spinning. This is noted because of the grinding in park. This means 100% your transfer case is at fault because it's not able to hold a brake to the output shaft nor transfer the output to the rear axle. Repair or replace your transfer case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts