Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you easily swap a "79 C6 manual transfercase onto an "89 AOD? I'm looking to rid myself of the pushbutton 4x4 and have an old (Good) C6 laying around with a manual tranfercase mated to it from a past project. Can I just take off the auto and stick on the manual?

·
Registered
580 Posts
You should be able to. All of Fords T cases are direct swaps with their tranny's. The only issue there could be is if the t cases are different and it requires a drive shaft modification.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
If it is out of a 79 then the C6 is most likely a big block bell housing. You need a small block C6 which is not hard to find. Might be able to trade someone for one. But the transfer case should fit fine, just gotta make the shifter work. You could also save yourself some work and keep the overdrive by using THIS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You should also make a bracket for the transfer case to the frame with a bushing like they did on the late 70's frame. I swapped a 205 into my 89 and took it for a test drive and there was alot of engine/TC twist when I mashed the gas plus thats alot of weight on the back without any support. Made a bracket for the TC and there was no more twist..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes you can, You will just have to cut a hole in the floor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankx guys. I appreciate the input/advice. I just panned on switching out the transfercases. I still plan to keep the ADO in it for now. Just wasn't sure about bolting patterns or if any major issues with driveshafts or part compatibility was going to come up before I'm already mid switch. I didn't mind the electronic style, but feel more comfortable & secure with manual when out playing around in the mud and water.
Again, Thankx

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
its sealed really good.
THIS!!!!!!

I used a little heat to help it move some, but it is unreal how much effort it takes

·
Registered
580 Posts
Another thing I thought about was the yoke on the output shaft of the t case. The two t cases may have used a different series of u joints and the two may not be compatible. This really isnt a big deal. The two t case output yokes may be interchangable. If they are not then take the old one in to a drive line shop and see if they can get you right one. Should cost $60.00 - $80.00. Be sure and measure them first there may not be a problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hole should be there from the factory, you just need to take the screws out and pry the cover off, its sealed really good.
Ok, I know on some f150's with the push button 4x4 the outline is there put just hasn't been punched out.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
I am guessing it is a NP205, it should be able to bolt up because most all of ford tranny's share the same circular bolt pattern. It is more narrow than your BW so you might need a longer d-shaft and like said above you might have make clearance at the floor depending on how you clock it.
This would make a good time to fab up or buy some twin sticks if you want to go through with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts