Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work, stopped at a light, and when I started to go again, the truck had no power, was kinda shuddering and making some odd noises. So, I pull into a parking lot, and as I do, everything starts running smoothly again. The O/D Off light was blinking though. I figured something may have went wrong with the trans and it went into limp mode. I wasn't too far from home, and looking around I didn't see any obvious problems (fluid leaking, etc), trans temp was about 125F, so I decided to see if I could limp it home.

The next few miles the truck ran fine, transmission was shifting great, no problems. Got stopped at another light, and this time, the truck just died. Tried to restart it, and it wouldn't start. Then I started seeing smoke coming out of the dash and could smell that electrical burning smell. So I obviously immediately parked it, and tried to look for the source as best I could. I had it towed home, but I haven't had a chance to even look at it yet (after disconnecting the battery).

Obviously a hard one to troubleshoot on a forum, but does anyone have any clues on where I should probably start looking? My gut feeling is the transmission is probably fine, but controls somewhere got cooked. Smoke was coming from the driver's side dash. Only things I can think of is that we had really bad storms earlier that day and maybe water got somewhere, or, and this could be my imagination, but I thought the brakes felt soft earlier in the day. Maybe the master cylinder leaked onto something.

It's a 92 XLT, 5.0, E4OD.

Thanks for any help or for at least allowing me to vent :).

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Have you tried to pull any codes from it yet? Not sure about your electrical fire....was the smoke coming through the vents or just anywhere out the dash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out from underneath the dash/steering column area. Not from the vents. Haven't pulled any codes. I haven't been home yet since getting it towed there. How long do the codes stay with the battery disconnected? I immediately left for vacation for 5 days.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Could be a brake fluid leak....I would take as much of the dash apart as possible and start looking for burned/melted/exposed wires and start there. Your tranny troubles may be related.

The codes don't stay long, but I would try anyways.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is the ongoing recall reference the cruise control and brake fluid. There is a fire potential.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Not to mention an ign switch recall.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would be thinking recall for cruise control harness. Did you have it done? There is also a recall for the recall service. I called for mine but dealer did not have part yet have to call back in April.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think the cruise control recall went back to 1992. I checked the vin on the ford site and they said there were no outstanding recalls. I personally haven't had any recalls done, but I've only owned the truck about 3 years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what I've seen so far now:

Truck will not start. Turns over, but doesn't try to start.
Fuses all seem to be fine.
I have not found any visible damage to the wiring under the dash and up in that corner of the engine bay.
I have attempted to pull codes. My check engine light either no longer works or the ECU will not go into test mode. The fuel pump will not stop running when the STI is jumpered to ground. I guess next step is to try a test light, but at the same time, shouldn't the fuel pump cut off?
With the key in the "Run" position (not trying to start it) the tachometer will bounce around a little bit in the 150 RPM area. I find this one a little odd.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful, but I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks

Update: Injectors don't appear to be firing. I'm really starting to lean towards it being the ECU.

·
Trying to finish it
1,355 Posts
check your drive shaft. you said that the truck started to shake the you probably have a messed up velocity joint. and the the ball joint connected to it probably is messed up to. i changed my entire drive shaft last week it costs about 280$ for a remaned drive shaft. turn the core in at napa and get 50 bucks back though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, confirmed today the injectors are not firing. The test light would briefly flicker when the key went to run, but not at all while attempting to start it.

Checked the fuel pressure in the rail, about 45 psi.

With the key in the run position, it sounds like the distributor is constantly trying to spark.

Between all of that, and the sudden loss of the check engine light, I'm thinking my next step should be checking out the ECU/relay. Thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Houston, we've had a problem.

Hmm, how odd:

Case seems discolored/rusty:

This may be a problem:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wire that stayed with the harness, that seems to be where the fire started, is pin 57. That's a power input.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The question now is, do I just order a replacement ECU from Rockauto (or maybe some other place), or is there a decent aftermarket set up to go with. I do have to pass emissions (tailpipe), and would prefer to not HAVE to run 93 octane.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would worry about what caused that in the first place, so you dont fry your new one also. (Water leaking into ECU?) IMO the ECU should not go up in flames that often! Just a thought.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I have thought about it. It appears to be water in the ecu. I will be taking precautions to make sure it stays dry next time. I have noticed a decent bit of water in that area under the hood before.

·
Registered
350 Posts
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109705&highlight=recalls

this is the fire recall.

dealing withthe crusie control pressure switch on your master cylinder.

(disconect the switch and you will be ok)

ford installes a inline fuse to break power in the event of a short.

good catch.. they could of found a better place to hide the ecu.

check ebay or somone parting one out.. i think I all but gave mine away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts