Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled all of my driveline to prepare everything for a 460 swap. I have been contiplating on rebuilding the transmission myself. I priced a rebuild kit and shift kit which total to only $148 for everything. I've been reading through the Haynes Tech book on the Ford transmissions, obviously on the C6 model. I have a spare C6 that came with the 460 I bought but it is set up for a 2wd, not 4wd. My question to you all is is this something that you would do yourself if you have the resources and tools or pay "x" amount of $ and have joe-blow in town rebuild it? Any tips or suggestions are welcome as always. :popc1:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would also be interested in this info. I need to rebuild my trans and transcase. Not for a swap (that would be cool, though), but mine are leaky and just need some "freshining up".

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
You t-case is probably ok unless you want to replace the rear output seal. I got my trans rebuilt for $300 at the local shop including parts and labor. For the extra money on an auto I'd pay to have it built.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...I called two transmission shops here in town and was quoted $300 plus the cost of the shift kit for a rebuild and the other shop wanted $550 for a rebuild with a shift kit. What do you guys think on these prices? Reasonable?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I paid $280 for rebuild and shift kit. $300+ shift kit is not to bad, $550 is outrageous in my opinion. But if you don't know how to rebuild auto tranny already then you should just pay someone who does, because if you screw-up once you will be spending $300 anyways with possibabilty(sp?) trashing your tranny.

my 0.02

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
my rebuild was $300 w/ shift kit if I recall correctly... $500 is a bit high, but depending on your area, it could be right. Be glad it doesn't have overdrive :toothless

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have them rebuld your converter ans they should warranty the the tranny.The places I have delt with in my area 300 for the tranny and 100 for the converter with 1 year warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts