Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 95 xlt bronco for about 2 months and I think the tranny died. It had been shuddering and slamming into reverse since the day i bought it, but the other day she stopped shifting. It wouldnt go into 1st gear so I just drove home in reverse and parked it in the driveway. Now I've got a problem.

I dont know shit about transmissions, or cars really.
I did find a crack at the top of that cover on the rear axel that is bolted on that was leaking fluid. dont know if that would effect it.

A mechanic at work said he'd put a new tranny in for me if i bring it to him. So, how do i find a e4od in good condition, or for that matter how do i get it to him? I've never went to a junkyard and ripped a tranny out but ill give it a shot, they look heavy though:doh0715:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? If it's at the right level, does it look dark/burnt?

You could try a fluid change/flush since it wouldn't hurt anything at this point...

If you need a new tranny, you might want to get a few buddies to help you pull one at a junkyard. Even at that, a junkyard tranny might not last more than 3k.

If you can find a good one at a junkyard, take it into a transmission shop as a core and plan on spending $1000 +++ on a rebuild/rebuilt tranny...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i checked and changed the fluid after i ran some of that "tranny fix" shit through it. It was pretty clean i guess. I was only able to get into gear the last day driving it if i hit like 3000rpm and it would shift.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Pull codes Loook for a post in the noob section it will show you how this jackass dabranco even has a pic of how he did it.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,070 Posts
Yes, sometimes there are codes even when the light isn't lit. Take a look at stangmata's E4OD Diagnosis Thread. He takes you thru a bunch of info & has the "How To" links for pulling codes.

As for the rear end being related, it might be possible. There is a sensor at top of the rear end that is used to tell vehicle speed, which the e4od uses. If it is broken, it may be related. Go thru that ^ link, in step 4 he covers the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts