Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title states i have a slow drip /leak from around the dipstick seal where it goes into the tranny. what are my options here? how do i remove it? is it as simple as undoing the bolt on the side of the case and pulling it out or do i have to drop pan and remove from inside?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
642 Posts
is it as simple as undoing the bolt on the side of the case and pulling it out
i know on a 4r44e from a 00 ranger it is. I don't see why an e4od would be different.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dont know the e4od , but on my C6 there was a bolt that held it to the back of the cyl head and then just pulled out, picked out the o-ring and put it back. BUT be warned that when you pull out the dipstick tube you will loose fluid as the level is higher then the tube hole. best of luck

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Put a bead of RTV around the O-Ring before you put the dipstick tube back into the tranny, this will help seal the O-Ring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips fellas...picked up o ring from ford for $1.48 and will install today

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread as my first post but I joined the forum because I'm rebuilding an '87 FSB I bought. When removing the old engine (that had a nice size hole in cylinder 1) I bumped the transmission dipstick which caused a slow leak. I just removed the dipstick Saturday and had to quickly grab an old bucket to catch the fluid pouring out. Now looking at the dipstick it has a single o-ring on the end and a bunch of rtv slathered all over the top where the tube met the top of the trans. Should i wait until after the engine is installed to install the dipstick and then do the same process of rtv above the o-ring? I'm wondering if this dipstick is a press fit style?

To clarify the transmission is a Monster rebuild unit E4OD.

TIA for any help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts