Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of curiosity, is it safe to downshift from drive to drive2 if coming to a stop when the roads are slick. i have a c6 transmission in my 87 bronco and i want to make sure it won't hurt anything if i did that so i don't push on my brakes too hard and lock up the front ones and slide. thanks. i did a search and didn't find anything. oh yeah, i should have my 97 mustang dome light today or tomorrow. 4x4 is working great for all of those that posted in my warn locking hub post. thanks again.

jeremiah

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If I remember corectly (and I may not) there is a relief valve inside the guts of an auto trans that will prevent the trans from down shifting if the pressure is too high. That being said I've been down shifting automatic trannys for years and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a question about downshifting a AOD.

P R N OD D 1

That is what the gear selector looks like. Crap this is hard to explain. Lets say I'm driving down the road and need to downshift into second gear. I think that I read that you can put it into 1st and if you are above a certain speed it will actually go into 2nd gear instead of 1st. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Mrit said:
I have a question about downshifting a AOD.

P R N OD D 1

That is what the gear selector looks like. Crap this is hard to explain. Lets say I'm driving down the road and need to downshift into second gear. I think that I read that you can put it into 1st and if you are above a certain speed it will actually go into 2nd gear instead of 1st. Anyone know if this is true?
That is true for the E4OD and I am 99% sure it's true for yours too.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
i believe the E4OD has a 2nd gear selector. P R N OD 2 1 where as the AOD doesnt have a 2nd gear choice. but as you said if you put it in 1 after a certain speed it will go to 2 but then will downshift to 1 when the set speed is reached. make sense?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yep that is true it's a pressure mechanism inside that controls up or down shifting. It's all about pressure in the valve bodies.

·
Registered
297 Posts
fordman7795 said:
i believe the E4OD has a 2nd gear selector. P R N OD 2 1
Yup, P R N OD 2 1 drive on the shaft, and mine won't go into 1st until it's at the right pressure/speed, but just about anything under 50 mph will go into 2nd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts