Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went camping over the memorial day weekend and on the final leg of the trip home the Transmission sounded a little loud when i was doing about 70mph. when I pulled up to home and went to start unpacking i noticed a thick trail of Transmission fluid leading right under the truck. I grabbed a big bottle to catch the rest as it poured out at almost a water fountain speed. I collected about a quart in the jar.

It looks like it was coming from between the Transmission and the transfer case.

Any ideas on what to do? what it is? what caused it....
Thanks.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
front pump seal probably. i wouldnt run it till you get it fixed. Start saving as the E4OD is an epensive rebuild

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
I would fill it back up with trans fluid and see if it acts fine... If it wants to live then you dodged a bullet AND got "your sign" to go get a huge friggin' auxillary transmission cooler.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
It may have been coming from the "breather tube, if the fluid got really hot and expanded for some reason......mine is on the left side a bit towards the front though.......

The other possibility good be the "tranny dipstick tube" leaking at the base where the tube goes into the side of the tranny case, there are either 1 or 2 "O rings" on the end of the tube inside and maybe they gave way....?

In either case if the tranny hasn't been serviced in a while, no time like the present to get a filter/gasket kit with fluid Napa and DIY.....the price range for kit and fluid can run anywhere from $31.00 to $75.00 depending on whether yours is an AOD, E4OD or C series but very simple to do vs. going to a tranny shop will run $150.00 to $200.00 range...big difference...

Hopefully it's something simple like this and not a cracked housing or inside seal......

Addtional help: www.broncolinks.com

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
My AOD cost $1,300.00 around five years ago and if I have 15-20k on it I'd be surprised but I can't imagine what an E4OD would run today...$2,000.00 or so.....:banghead

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got a remanufactured E40D with a 2 year unlimited warrantee delivered for 1347.00 Let me know if you need the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put in my auxiliary transmission cooler the other day and and truck has been running well. Had same type of issue you had. Paid about $60 and was simple to put in.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
You most likely overheated it and the front pump seal puked. Mine did the same thing last summer. I let it cool off overnight, topped it off and it ran fine.

If it stops leaking, you need to change the fluid/filter ASAP and seriously consider investing in a transmission cooler.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Yes you want it to stop leaking. My point is that if it doesn't stop leaking, you're going to have to pull the trans and you won't be driving it for a while.

You overheated your trans and most likely burned the trans fluid in the process. Burnt fluid is not good for transmissions, hence, you need to change it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get it now. put $10 in fluid in it and hope it stays, if it does then it over heated and then replace filter... and upgrade coaler. else buy new trany.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the fluids in both the transfer case and the Transmission both are fine? I found a small leek under in the transfer case which i think was caused by the bolts on the drive shift being VERY loose, so it probably shook it a lot. on the other hand it looks like the big leak was father front. the rubbery thing that supports the Transmission/transfer case is were i found most of the fluid, I really don't know what to make of that.
take a look at the pic

1 - 16 of 16 Posts