Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When test driving the 88 Bronco w/ OD trans for me (out of state), my brother said that the transmission indicator would only point to D regardless of whether the shifter was in another position. Is this something that can be "fixed" or is the indicator broken altogether? I looked for a write up in the tech section with no results.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good to know. I read the write up on fixing the ignition switch actuator and the trans indicator was mentioned but no reference on how to fix. Maybe someone will come up with a link.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo SNEAL;
If the shifter has a:
P-R-N-(D)-D-1 shifter pattern, it is an AOD
note, OD is actually a (D)
Trans code: T
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/RampageFSJ/a4-1.jpg
Source: by miesk5

Shift Indicator Adjustment in a 91; "...Well I got it taken care of but there wan no knob to be turned...no black tube either. There was a white plastic tube that has a cable in it....that was mounted around a plastic pin that is attached to the steering collum(sp?). There was a small amount of adjustment that can be made by the mounting screw that holds the plastic tube to the collum. The mounting bracket for this has a slot where the mounting screw is. I just loosened this up and adjusted it accordingly but.....it still wasn't enough. I actually had to put a O-ring around the pin that the cable gets attached to make up the difference that I needed but now it all works perrrrrrfect!..."

Shift Linkage Adjustment & Diagram
Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy) at http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/documents/shiftlinkage.htmlSource: by h8nlife (Ted W) at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39424&highlight=shift+indicator

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhhh now I see the error of my ways. It is tagged as "gearshift selector". Appears to be a relatively easy fix. Have not seen the layout of the selector indicators yet as the truck is somewhere around Texas en route Mich. Trying to get my ducks in a row for these nagging issues before it arrives.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo Steve
Gene bought that AOD ind @ LMC a few yrs ago

LMC's cataloger folks grouped the AOD, C6 and E4OD indicators in the 92-96 section as I mentioned above; probably to save $ by not having seperate years break-outs;

Anyway;
jegs.com
Ididit etc. have some

·
Registered
263 Posts
The shift indicator for '92-96 won't fit an older cluster. Older ones pull from the other side, and the cable is set up differently. Study these pics:

I just replaced the indicator on my 90 after I broke it trying to replace the upper ignition actuator arm. Got it from Ford, and I think it cost me somewhere in the $25 range.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is good to know. I read the write up on fixing the ignition switch actuator and the trans indicator was mentioned but no reference on how to fix. Maybe someone will come up with a link.
On my 90 EB, I popped off the bezel around the display and just above the steering wheel. Take off the plastic cover over the steering shaft (2 screws) and remove the two bolts supporting the shaft, and allow the steering wheel to drop down. There are two screws that mount the shift indicator, remove and with the steering wheel down, the indicator slides down and out of the dash.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds fairly straight forward. The assumption is that the 88 and 90 have the same dash config which I believe to be true. Hopefully it is that simple. I will put an update on here after I attempt to fix this issue. Thank you for all the input.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I checked with Ford here, they said they couldn't get one. Picked one out of a junkyard 80-86 F250 and it works great. You can keep your original indicator in the truck, all you need to swap is the little white tube and the wire.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo,
Also,
Shift Indicator Adjustment in a 91; "...Well I got it taken care of but there wan no knob to be turned...no black tube either. There was a white plastic tube that has a cable in it....that was mounted around a plastic pin that is attached to the steering collum(sp?). There was a small amount of adjustment that can be made by the mounting screw that holds the plastic tube to the collum. The mounting bracket for this has a slot where the mounting screw is. I just loosened this up and adjusted it accordingly but.....it still wasn't enough. I actually had to put a O-ring around the pin that the cable gets attached to make up the difference that I needed but now it all works perrrrrrfect!..."
Source: by h8nlife (Ted W) at FSB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts