Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Bronco, 302, C6, 4x4, AC, Cruise, Power Win / Doors, all original equip
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a transmission leak that appears to be coming from the bellhousing plate area. It leaks only when the bronc is running and and seems to get hot pretty quick. (The engine is not overheating) I was told this could be the front seal or the cooler lines need to be replaced. I've done a lot of reading and am wondering could bad cooler lines cause this leak?
Also, could someone direct me to a link that gives instructions on replacing the cooler lines with photos.
:Thanks for all advice and assistance!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Attached is a photo from online. This is not my truck but the circled area is where the fluid comes from.

Attachments

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,143 Posts
@spencer151 , it would be helpful if you added the details about your Bronco to your profile, year, engine/tranny combo and so forth. Also for future reference, you can copy and paste your pic right into your post..

With regards to where that fluid is coming from, my guess would be the front seal..when you say the engine is getting hot, how hot? Do you have an aftermarket gauge?

Are your tranny cooling lines still plumbed into your radiator? If so, the temp of the tranny fluid can get as hot as the coolant in your engine, so if the engine is getting super hot that is a problem. I don't think your issue is related to the cooler lines.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I had entered all that information about my truck a while back but must have did it wrong. I will fix that. In the meantime, I have 82 Bronco, 302, 8 cyl, c6 trans, 4x4, AC, cruise, power everything! all original currently. I do not have an aftermarket temp guage. The engine does not over heat. The temp is normal however, it does warm up quick!! The reason I said it was getting hot is because I read on the forum that for it to be leaking a lot only when it is running or you rev it up is because the fluid is getting too hot. It was then suggested the cooler lines in which case once replaced, that actually solve the problem for that bronco owner. Since the truck sat outside in the woods for 20 yrs I thought maybe those lines could have rusted or have some pin hole causing a problem. This is the only leak I have on the truck. I've gotten everything working accept the horns which i just need to replace and the passenger window (comes down but wont go up).
Radiator is holding fluid and the right color so no problem there. So how complicated is it for a newbie to replace this front seal if that is the source of the leak?? Can this be done in my driveway at home?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I can't remember if the C6 is vented or how it is vented. But a clogged vent may make the level rise and burp it out the seal. Somebody with more C6 knowledge will be along shortly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts