Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple days ago i was driving down a highway and after about 30 miles or so i see black smoke in my rear view mirror and also black smoke coming into the interior. i pull over and with the truck running look under the truck and see transmission oil billowing (if thats even a word) out to where i think was the one inch access hole in the tranny but i back it up out of the way and hop in my friends truck to go on with our schedule for that day. later we got a tow truck to take it in to a shop because i had no clue what was wrong so i just wanted someone to help find out what the problem was. we cralled underneath the truck and the whole dipstick thing was hanging out of the transmission! :banghead we turned the truck on and put it in R and D and nothing happened at all which means no fluid so we filled it up and its good now.

so my plan of action is to bolt that dipstick back onto the bell housing correctly (as it wasnt before when previous owner rebuilt the tranny) then go to a transmission shop to see if they can detect if i messed up my tranny any..

any good suggestions on how to bolt that up that dipstick? i know one way to it is to get a three or four foot extension with a swivel socket thing and sit at the rear right tire and snake the extension all the way to the bell housing...

kyle

·
Registered
162 Posts
well its a good thing you didnt burn the trans up thats good news but yea mine bolts to the bellhousing, not a easy thing if youve got stock manifolds and y pipe, youve got the right idea going with the long extension and a swivel socket if you have one, by the way i recommend lock tite on those bolts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay yeah thanks i did drive it home from the shop but i think i should still take to a transmission place so that can check it out.. could there still have been damage done to it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I replaced my engine, I had these long socket extenisons that I bought and never thought I would use, well they came in handy, as I had extensions back to and past the trans case to tighten those bolts on the upper tranny after finishing my engine install.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well honestly if its shifting ok, no slipping or flareups when up shifting, there probably not gonna find much, but it might have taken a little life out of the trans, by the way ihope your running a trans cooler,
i do not have a tranny cooler.. are they that important?

·
Registered
162 Posts
YESSSSSS very important, any body here will tell you that heat kills transmissions, trany coolers are one of those things where bigger is better, not all that expensive either, i got one for my bronco and only cost me 50 bucks, the cooler you can keep that fluid the longer your trans will last. so go now! go get one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay great thanks alot and im sure there are ample write ups here about them so ill check em out thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts