Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after dealing with some overheating issues with my e4od, when i start my truck now, theres a scratching sound coming from the tranny area for the first second or two my truck is on.
sounds as if someone is holding a screwdriver blade against the outside of the torque converter as it spins.
it doesnt do it while its cranking and only does it right after i start it. where should i start?

·
Registered
331 Posts
what did you do to fix your overheating issues?

·
Registered
710 Posts
not that it can't be in your transmission or torque converter, but it may be your starter hanging up. sometimes the armature doesn't pull back all the way and it will rub the flywheel.

Before you tear into it try another starter... I hate telling people to throw money at something, but i can't think of a way to test it out other than to have someone start the truck while you're under it to try and pinpoint where it's coming from... well there ya go, I just thought of how to test that :toothless

Try that, see if you can tell where it's coming from, hopefully it will be the starter on the flywheel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright I'll just get a junkyard starter.
And for the over heating, I added a tranny cooler, new fan clutch (last one didnt kick in at all) and replaced the entire exhaust with a y pipe, single cat and glass pack. Old cats were pretty clogged

·
Registered
331 Posts
yeah sounds like starter, if it had been pulled recently coulda been improper shimming on re-install .... might give the starter a little "whack" with a rubber mallet... that sometimes solves sticking... for a bit at least...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts