Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this shouldn't be too hard..

Ordered a transmission filter kit from Oreilly because my gasket was leaking. Take off the pan, clean it out real good, go to fit the new gasket on.. Aaaaaand it doesn't fit. 14 holes for AOD, all of them line up perfectly except for the short end that only has 2 holes on it. Those two seem to be in the incorrect spot by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so. No amount of stretching the rubber gasket would make it seal properly

Returned that one from Oreily, went to Napa, waited till they got it in the next day. Same thing. Two different brands, neither fit my pan. I've got Autozone ordering one, but because of the holiday can't check it till Friday.

As far as I know, you either have the C6, or have the AOD. 14, or 17 holes.. Is there something completely elementary that I'm missing here?

·
Registered
457 Posts
they sold you a gasket for a 4r70w then. this is probably too in depth for anybody to care but here ya go-

the aod, aode, and 4r70w, (maybe even the 4r75w?) are all in the same family. a friends old ford courier has an aod in it. and when i looked at it i thought for sure it was the same tranny as mine which is a 4r70w, i asked him and he said it was an aod. so for fun i measured the pan/pan bolts then measured mine and sure enough they were different but essentially identical except the short end as your talking about.

so! the parts guy sold you a 4r70w gasket. personally i'd never buy a vauto zone or oreilly gasket. i tried 2 different kinds and they all leaked like a mother. i gave up and went to ford and got the factory gasket. i lucked out cuz its reusable, its a REALLY nice gasket, and its got a steel skeleton to it. and oddly enough it doesnt leak... at the same time i did my service a couple months ago i bought a drain bolt kit from carquest and installed it in that kinda square sump that the pan has. works out PERFECTLY. leaks not one drop. that was the whole reason i did my service in the first place was to fix a leak.

and i'm not sure but maybe you have the aode? no idea if the pan is any different from the aod but maybe you've been asking for the wrong part this whole time? just tossin ideas out there.

good luck. i had a hell of a time gettin everything right. i ended up spending about 250 bucks on my whole ordeal. most of it was damn fluid. i like to use valvoline. there tranny fluid made my tranny shift like it was brand new or somethin. but it turned out my pan was slightly warped so i had to buy a new pan, got the reusable gasket, cheap filter, valvoline mercon v fluid. it was pricey but definitely worth gettin rid of that damn leak and now i got a nice drain bolt and never have to spill that crap over myself again. better hope your pans okay though cuz ford charged my like 70 bucks for that thing, but it was cheaper then oreillys cuz they dont carry OE pans they only carry those B&M pans for 3 big ones.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I've never had any problems with getting an AOD filter gasket kit from either Napa or O'Reillys........?....why not take the fluid pan in with you and get them to match up the right pan gasket........when the O'Reilly guys get it right I throw that guy a can of beer, works like a charm, $2.00 at most.....they'll get it right next time...lol lol :doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
457 Posts
haha i bet they remember you next time and give you a discount when they see you walk in.

i just hate how kragen switched to oreillys. kragen had everything i needed, and oreillys doesnt have crap.. its a vauto zone for us white guys.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree, I think the O'Reilly's in Redondo Beach is sooooooooooooooo much better, these guys know their parts homework..far better then the old Kragens and I don't even set foot in Autozone anymore I just use them to price match if necessary and the O'Reilly's website is more user friendly...:doh0715:

Maybe I'm lucky, yes they do know who I am and cheap beer works everytime not to mention I've been a customer there for over 20 years but I make out like a bandit.....you always get more with sugar then vinegar!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately nobody seems to carry them in stock, so every new place I go to order them from I've gotta wait a day to get it delivered. I've also verified on their computer screens and the AOD is definitely specified. However at least at Oreilly, they had to search for an 88, cause the AOD wasn't showing up as an option for an 89. Just the C6.

Just found this pan gasket ID chart, and pretty sure mine is the regular AOD. Don't have the extra hole on the top left side of the AODE in the pic. It's just the alignment of the two holes on the bottom of these pics. They're just a bit off in their locations of the gaskets I've seen so far

http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/Ford-transID08.gif

Edit: it wasn't an extra hole, but mine def is the AOD. The upper left bolt hole is directly in the corner on mine, not along the top edge as in the AODE.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
The AOD gasket shown in the middle of the chart is what I use for my 1986 302 EFI Bronco XLT but I still can't believe it's not readily available in the stores............? IDK

Napa - #1-7801 filter/gasket kit -z- $10.29 (2 years ago)
Kragen/O'Reilly - FK 167 Power Torque filter/gasket kit - $9.99 (1 year ago)

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The AOD gasket shown in the middle of the chart is what I use for my 1986 302 EFI Bronco XLT but I still can't believe it's not readily available in the stores............? IDK

Napa - #1-7801 filter/gasket kit -z- $10.29 (2 years ago)
Kragen/O'Reilly - FK 167 Power Torque filter/gasket kit - $9.99 (1 year ago)

HOpe that helps!

Weird.. The Oreilly fk167 was the one that didn't fit the bolt holes properly. I ended up getting a Duralast TF202 from Autozone which fits perfectly. Can't remember what part # it was from Napa that I tried..

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I've noticed over the years with many Auto Parts stores when customers return items they either don't come back the way they went out...lol lol...or the employee's will swap something or put the wrong part back and the next customer gets that mistake.

I know I'm guilty...:rofl:....of bringing items back and swaping a left over I had and keeping what I wanted, i.e. fuel injection plenum runner gasket....when I repainted the top of my engine this summer I got a runner gasket just in case but the plenum came off without damaging the gasket already on there, so I had a new, slightly different style runner gasket in my parts drawer from my engine swap in 2008 and kept the correct one for my 86 and returned the other and they didn't notice.....whoops my bad...lol lol...

Good to know about the Duralast from Vatozone ~ :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts