Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just cruising thru C/L and found an AOD from a 83 F250 2wd with a 400. Would this trans be suitable for a plow truck as far as durability? More importantly can I make it work in my hiboy or is the tail shaft really long like the one out of my 79 super cab 2wd? Just thought that the OD might be nice for on the highway.
Swamp

·
Registered
169 Posts
If your just gonna be using it for plowing and not a lot of highway driving or anything I'd just go with a c6.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Dont quote me on this, but i'm pretty sure F-250's never came with an AOD.. AOD's were only available on 302's, and not until around 87-ish.

to the best of my knowledge, there was no overdrive automatic trans option for any truck pre-87(ish), nor for any 400 powered truck. the trans he's advertising is probably a C6 he just doesn't know it.

as far as durability, i think any trans would do fine if you don't neutral drop it (this includes reverse/forward "rocking" with the engine revved up), and the engine is stock-ish. also remember that lower axle gear ratios (or t-case in low range) is a torque divider for the trans too (for instance, 2:1 low range cuts torque in half)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts