Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 Bronco, E4OD, 133,000 miles.

Problem: Trans shifts hard (extremely hard, you think the thing is gonna expload.)

Fix: Replaced the MLPS sensor @ 120,000. Shop said internals looked OK for its age, when they dropped the pan and changed fluid/filter.

Problem 2: Problem of hard shifts return, bring it back in to the AAMCO shop, said sensor is fine. They disconnected battery for 10 min to reset the computer, and it was back to normal.

I've had this problem for a while now, and when it just started to shift hard, I would simply reset it by disconnecting the battery. The trans would feel and act just fine after each reset. Just recently, its been happening anytime I drive for more than 30 minutes straight, short trips it is fine.

So now I have to figure a few things out:

1) Has anyone else had this problem? I've always thought, the tranny completely goes when it decides to go. Is there something else I should check?

2) Is it best to cut my losses, and rebuild a semi-working tranny now? (Again, my thoughts were a tranny rebuild is a tranny rebuild, you rebuild the whole thing)

3) Is it best to just run it til' she exploads?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Steve83 said:
I'd get it flushed again soon - all the residue that you loosened by putting in fresh fluid is now circulating, and blocking things up. The ABS sensor is probably fine, but all you have to do is pull it out, wipe off any metal filings, & put it back in. No need to change it, or dump the oil unless it's LOADED with filings. LOTS of things are used to control the E4OD:
> Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
> Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM)
> Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) (Formerly Called ABS)
> Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) Sensor
> Air Conditioning Clutch (ACC)
> Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
> Low Range Switch 4x4
> Throttle Position (TP) Sensor (Formerly Called TPS)
> Transmission Operating Temperature (TOT) Sensor (Formerly Called TFT)
> Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLP)
> Transmission Control Switch (TCS)/Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL)
> Transmission Solenoid Body
> Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) Solenoid
> Shift Solenoids
Some of them won't throw a code either.

Don't go to AAMCO, i have heard nothing but horror stories about them. Any chance that you can find another independent shop that can help you out?

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I see what kind of shop I can take it to. The problem is, is that I have to drive it around until the problem starts, for a shop to look at it. When there is no problem, they dont' bother to check into things. (I suppose I can drive around, but I sure don't feel like wasting gas).

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Broncobob said:
Well, I see what kind of shop I can take it to. The problem is, is that I have to drive it around until the problem starts, for a shop to look at it. When there is no problem, they dont' bother to check into things. (I suppose I can drive around, but I sure don't feel like wasting gas).

Bro find a better shop. mine was slipping and it would only do that shit once and a while and the dude i took it too was like lets go so i can feel it do what it does. we drove for like a n hour and he even put 10 bucks in my tank for me doing that. he adjusted some shit, and i paid him 125 bucks and it is good now. E4OD with 187000 miles and still going. just add a cooler and remote filter to it

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

Can anyone recommend me a shop?

Some that I have found in Ft. Collins, CO:

Best Western Transmission
Cottman Transmission
Kennedy Automatic
AAMCO (different location).

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Broncobob said:
Thanks.

Cottman Transmission
Kennedy Automatic

Do you have any friends/family that you can ask around about. For me, in Ohio, to tell you what shop to go to isn't really good, simply because i am 24 hours of driving away from you. I would definitely stay away from AAMCO's though, that's just my opinion.

And when my E4OD started doing the same thing, it was sporatic, the shop i took it to was Parma Transmission, the guy drove it until it started doing what i told him it would do. A quality shop understands transmission usually don't act up right away.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Broncobob said:
Thanks.

Cottman Transmission
Kennedy Automatic

me personally i would stay away from the big names like AAMCO i have heard nothing but bad things from them. Look around for local shops and ask them if you can talk to some of there customers. that would be the best way. I asked around alot here for the best here.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Everyone's gonna have a story about one of the big names because they're so big. I just had the trans in my work van redone right before the holidays at cottman. They were local , able to get it in and done quickly and I paid for it. Got the van back and started having problems. After three trips back I told them to put another Tranny in it or I was driving it through their front door. Two days later I dropped it off at 8am and picked it up by 1pm with a new trans in it. They fixed the problem but I don't know if I'd recommend them now. The thing to remember is that most of them are independently owned and operated so everyone is going to be different. But you do get a nationwide warranty with the bigger names. As was already suggested ask your friends relatives and coworkers if they know of anyone. Check the BBB website for anybody local also. When you get there be honest and tell them what aamco has done and what you've been doing to fix it temporarily since then. The more info you can give them the easier it is for them to track down the problem. If they're not willing to go for a ride in your truck to feel it don't bother staying.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you have a local repair shop where you are friendly with the owner or where you bring your rig to have work done.....ask them who they use for their rebuilt tranny's. A small indi shop will not be doing AT rebuilds and will farm that work out.....yes they will drop and install the trans, but the rebuild is left to a trans only shop.....and thats where I would be heading.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, randomly today driving it a half a block, I started getting an insanely loud squeak, and it turned out to be a rear unjoint. Replaced them all, and starting and stopping feels a lot better now (no play), and the trans isn't shifting as hard as before. (most likely my imagination)

Maybe the ujoints were causing extra work on the tranny? I doubt it, but thought I would throw that in.

Anyways, talked to an owner of a little shop up here who does most the work for me, and said he had his transfer case and auto tranny rebuilt by AAMCO, and said they are a great bunch of guys. I'm thinking im going to talk to them and tell them the owner of where I go sent me in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts