Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 Bronco with a mildly built 351M and a C6 Auto Transmission.

I was in the Junkyard the other week and noticed a 78 with a manual transmission setup. Until I saw that I was under the impression that all of the 78-79 Broncos had just automatics.

I am a huge fan of manual transmissions over automatics for many obvious reasons and have done the auto-to-manual swap in my first two Mustangs.

Now its time for questions. 352M/400 bellhousing=460 bellhousing. If I were to find the donor truck with a 5 speed transmission what numbers would I need to look for to make sure I get one with Overdrive AND a granny gear or were those not an option.

Could I keep my NP205 Transfer case or would I have to swap this out as well?

Has anyone done this before?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
if your wanting a 5 speed with over drive your looking for a ZF behind a 460. yes the 205 can be bolted to the ZF but you need to knotch the rear of the trans to clear the shift rail.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Jopes,

You have upgraded to the Steak and Lobster!

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Believe it or not a manual trans was standard in the Bronco's. Automatics were an option. Only 21% of the 79 Bronco's were equipped with a stick. Finding one today would be pretty rare.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But its in the JY, Looked like a pretty stripped down model with vinyl seats and all.

I am sorry but I will probably end up violating it for its parts like the pedal assembly and such.

I will probably gather parts until the C6 goes out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably a Custom. Take what ya want, I was only throwing out that info for the hell of it.
It was more justifying it to myself. I always feel bad taking stuff from a more rare vehicle.

Automotive Sympathist Extrordinaire

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
It was more justifying it to myself. I always feel bad taking stuff from a more rare vehicle.

Automotive Sympathist Extrordinaire
it's in the JY, either you take it for whats needed or it will be in the next jap car that comes off the assembly line.

·
Registered
203 Posts
swap

Where you at? I've got a 4 speed manual in my 78. Kinda want an automatic because of driveline shock. I'm in Virginia Beach VA.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just remember the ZF5 has an integral bell housing. Prolly gonna need hydro clutch linkage.

The one in the JY is a 4 speed with granny low. Like Ranger said - take all the parts you want. Might need em for something else.

Might want to run that till you find a ZF-5.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where you at? I've got a 4 speed manual in my 78. Kinda want an automatic because of driveline shock. I'm in Virginia Beach VA.
I am in Fort Madison, IA.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ranger, you seem very knowledgeable about the ZF5. Question for you OR anyone else that may know the answer. I know where an 88 bronco with a 5 speed and 300i6 is, would that transmission be a ZF5?? I can pick up the whole Bronco for $575. Also, would it have the correct bell housing to mate up to a mid 90's 460EFI??

·
Registered
457 Posts
It might not be I have a 5 Speed that was bolted to my 89 302 thats not. Check the side of the tranny see how the case looks you should have some tale tale signs. Thats being the way the lines run on the tranny, casting lines that is, if its criss cross I belive it will be what your looking for. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Black and blue I don't know anything about the ZF swap. I have never done one and don't care for the stick. After driving a semi all week the last thing I wan't to do is shift gears in one of my toys.

I would suspect being a 300 6 it is not the correct bellhousing for a 460.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I bet the Bronco 5 speed is a M50 (Mazda) tranny. I have not seen a factory ZF in anything less than a Supercab 3/4 ton.

The 300 shares bellhousing pattern with the Windsor engines (289-351).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I am basically looking for the Transmission from an 80's to 90's 4wd F250 or F350?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was gonna try the zf swap in my 78 but unless you are putting it behind the 460 and want to cut appart your firewall for clearance i wouldn't advise it, the input shaft on the zf is a little to short for the 351M and dosn't reach the pilot bearing real good and also you have to use a diesel clutch plate because the zf has an 1 1/4" input shaft instead of the 1 1/16", or get somebody to redrill your 351 flywheel to accept the 460 clutch assembly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the zf5speed from a 300six wont bolt up to a 460, in all likelyhood that bronco has a m5od, i personally like the np435 4speed, i had a 79f250 with one a few years ago and i loved the low gearing in it, although if i was swapping one in i would look into the differences between the np435 and the t18, i know "OX" is running a t18 in his white bronco, and he seems to know his stuff so that has to mean something, so basically if you get advise from "ox" "jopes" "infoford" or "ranger429" (to name a few) take it they are very very knowlegeable guys and know their stuff.

-jay

1 - 20 of 32 Posts