Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has been a while since I have had time to be on much, but now that I have finished my paramedic, and have the summer before starting nursing school, I would like to get the bko running again.

I burned up the AOD a year ago, I am not going to go back with another weak AOD. I don't have the funds to rebuild an AOD, so junkyard C6 is the best option IMHO. I also would like to get rid of the electric 1356 while I am doing the swap. I found an 89 at the pick-n-pull that has a bad 351w, C6 and manual tcase. I searched for a thread where someone else made the swap without any good results. So my questions are as follows:

1. I am assuming the tcase in the junk yard 89 is an 1356 as well, and anyone confirm this based on the engine and tranny combo?

2. Does anyone know the length difference between the C6 and AOD?

3. I am going to pull all the linkages and everything else attached when/if I pull the tranny, but I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to how hard it is to set them up in a bko that had an AOD?

Any other knowledge will be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
1. I am assuming the tcase in the junk yard 89 is an 1356 as well, and anyone confirm this based on the engine and tranny combo?

2. Does anyone know the length difference between the C6 and AOD?

3. I am going to pull all the linkages and everything else attached when/if I pull the tranny, but I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to how hard it is to set them up in a bko that had an AOD?

Any other knowledge will be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
1. Odds are pretty good that case is a 13-56 as well. Once they started running the 13-56 in the Broncos, I haven't seen much else through the rest of the production run. However, if you can crawl under and get a look, they are easy to idenfity. The manual 13-56 will look just like your electric, except the pad for the motor will be blank, with the bolt holes undrilled. Pretty easy to see in this photo from Four Wheeler.

2. I have a couple of spares laying around, and based on a quick measurement I did last week they appear to be within 1/2" in length. My AOD's are hard to get to, but I'll probably be rebuilding one this weekend. I'll get better measurements if I remember.

3. Shifter linkage is the easy part, since the AOD was designed by Ford to bolt in place of the C6. In my experience, bolt up the existing shift linkage at the pivot on the transmission shift lever at the pan, and call it a day.

Also - probably obvious, but you'll need to make sure you run a vacuum line to the modulator on the back passenger side of the C6. You need manifold vacuum, and you may want to copy the factory and run a steel hard line most of the way, since temperatures can get pretty high there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Lengthwise they should be ok do yourself a fav our and measure the driveshafts on the donor truck vs your existing if no disparity then transplant away. I am planning the opposite swap c6 really saps power and consumes fuel (that od gear) makes a huge difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts