Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from every thing i've read the e4od blows, and i wanted to swap it out, what would be the draw backs/advantages of putting an AOD in, or is it even possible or worth it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hmmm, I have the same question. Can't wait to hear the answer.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
or how hard would it be to swap in a c-6, what would i need?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,996 Posts
I wouldn't put anything but a c6 in there unless you have to have overdrive
I plan on doing this swap on my 92. From what i have read the drivshafts will be wrong, the crossmember needs the mount moved, the tcase linkage will need re worked, there should be some sort of kick down, and you have to have a manual tranny computer, i think.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about for the AOD? i really want an auto trans with o/d for my DD.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
AOD was never supposed to be behind a 351.

i agree that i have read a lot of the E4OD being a hunk of shit. but i have also read that when they are built CORRECTLY, they are unstoppable.

in short, when they break, they break bad. when they work they're awesome.

my opinion? swap a zf 5 speed in that thing.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you know where i can get one, used or new i dont care im just looking for a good dependable trans for my DD.

·
Registered
319 Posts
for any trans other than the E40D you dont need a new eec if you dont want, but u will pull trans codes, makes sure w/e trans u get, u get a flexplate for that motor that matches that trans, c6 needs a vaccum line for the kickdown iirc, and a tv cable, either new crossmember or modify old one, and driveshafts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well how much work/money is it going to take to get a c6 and get it installed

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about just doing some mods to the e4od to prolong life, what can i do and how much will it cost?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
I love my AOD.
dave

·
Registered
319 Posts
chevysuck said:
what about just doing some mods to the e4od to prolong life, what can i do and how much will it cost?
search and you shall find, #1 killer of that trans, or any trans for that matter is heat, get a better cooling system and an external filter, theres a ton of info on here about that trans

and for anyone looking for a c6 swap, search for "reviving the turd", long but informational

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Bri_Guy5 said:
AOD was never supposed to be behind a 351.

i agree that i have read a lot of the E4OD being a hunk of shit. but i have also read that when they are built CORRECTLY, they are unstoppable.

in short, when they break, they break bad. when they work they're awesome.

my opinion? swap a zf 5 speed in that thing.
I agree going backwards to an AOD

may be a move in the wrong direction, EVEN THOUGH many places can build and re-engineer an AOD to withstand 1100 horsepower. Truth is they can also build your trans to take it too.

Try these people and read how they do it;

Lentechautomatics.com

As for going to a 5 speed manual, not for me. Anyone who has wheeled and manual and auto, knows they'd rather wheel an auto.

As far as a C-6 goes, yes if you're a weekend only truck. NO if you're a daily driver.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know i can probably find something if I search but can someone tell me where i can get the best transmission cooler for my 351w?

·
Registered
981 Posts
A E4OD has alot of simularities with a C-6. I have heard it called a electrical C6 with o/d. The cost to buy a stought E4OD is pretty high. I have seen a average of about $1600.00. A stought AOD is cheaper and can be as strong as a E4OD or a C6.

If you have to have O/D, I would recommend you just have your tranny rebuilt with a high quality kit. The newer E4OD's have solved alot of the earlier problems that have given the E4OD a bad name, and the high end kits include these improvements. Larger Bands, kevlar clutches, etc. A high quality rebuild and a improved cooler and filter will make a great combo. just my $.02

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Not hard at all, but look into B&M cooler. they are thicker and will cool better.

also look into a remote filter.

ken

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool, but where can i get a B&M kit, because i need every thing, and any brand or model suggestions for a remote filter

1 - 20 of 31 Posts