Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a recent failure in my driveline. Long story short, the rear driveshaft came loose and the vibration broke the piece between the transmission and the transfer case. My first question is what is this piece called and where can I get one? I have a 1990 bronco with E4OD and a Borg Warner 1356. Secondly, the transmission was leaking fluid like crazy out of the rear seal, I plan to remove the transmission myself (Ive done it before so Im not worried about that) and have it fixed at a shop. So to the tranny pros out there how much work is required to fix this rear seal, and what is the potential for further internal damage that I can not see? Thanks for any input on the situation.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought this transfer case used gear oil like 80w-90? And in that case it may have been coming from the transfer case, but A LOT came out so Im pretty sure it was the tranny. While were on the topic I need a new rear driveshaft, any recomendations on how long the stock shuold be lengthed with a 4" Rancho kit and a Ford 9 inch swapped in place of the 8.8?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Any stock bronco rear should fit, a 4" lift isn't enough to neccesitate a new shaft, and a 9" "snout" of the pinion is longer than an 8.8, so you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts