Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have a 1989 FSB i bought last month. Has the 302 EFi.
And it was doo'in good untill saturday.
I got in it, started it up. and the trans wouldn't work. I can put it in any gear and nothing, Like it stays in nutrual. Trans is a E9TA -5 speed.
Can any one give me information on what it might be??
Thanks Bicyclebuilder :whiteflag

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Are you actually feeling the shifter enguage each gear?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It feels like its in a gear,
but i can put it all the gears without the clutch. Acts like it's in nutural all the time.
I can feel it go into 2L and 4H but it still don't move.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
manual t-case I suppose??? can you hear any grinding when you let out the clutch?
Did this prob. just happen, or what was the event that caused this situation?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Very odd. If it was the tcase it would gring when putting it in gear without the clutch I'm thinking clutch or broken input shaft? Slave cylinder or linkage stuck in extended position?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep a t-case I am new with a 4X4 this is my first time.
No grinding sounds. it does have a funny smell.
Like wireing.
It run fine on friday. and saturday it wouldn't move.
The fluid's are ok.
Could it be locked up in two(2) gears?

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
to answer your question about being locked in 2 gears. if it was it would move more than likely, or kill the motor as soon as you release the clutch.

So as to whether or not you have a manual or elect. T-case. Do you have two shifters on the floor? Or a push button on the dash?

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
ok lets try a few simple tests to try and figure out whats goin on.

1 after starting the engine and its in neutral. Can you push in the clutch for a couple of seconds and then let it go, carefully listening for the engine to change rpm (you can do this several times to make sure whether or not it is making a difference). Also if your truck is equipped with a tachometer that would be a big help too. You could actually see and hear if the engine changed...

If it does then good! if not this is bad....

2 Assuming you did notice the engine rpms change then your clutch is engaging (hopefully), now then shut the engine off and assuming its got the manual transfer case lever on the floor, place the 5 speed shift stick in neutral, and pull the second shifter (the one for the transfer case ) straight back.

3 now start the truck and put it in gear and come back and tell us what happened....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok i tried that. and the RPM starts at 1000 and when i put it in gear it moves to 700 RPM.
no change in the trans. I can feel it go into gear but as before didn't move.
Now i can't get it into 2H feels like its hung up.
Thanks

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Well fawk!

Not sure where to go from here, atleast now the t-case is engaged into a gear. so that rules that out, but for the transmission to have failed in every gear is odd....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just going to pull it out tomarrow. and finger it out . That way i ca get pic's of it.
But i still lost 2H, won't go in at all.
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
If you can shift without grinding gears or using the clutch there is a good possibility that you broke the input shaft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The clutch could be out of adjustment. I don't think the rpms would drop if the imput shaft was broken. And that would explain the weird smell. Do you have a cable clutch or a hydraulic? If it is cable I would check the self adjusting rachet. It could just be slipping really bad. It would explain both the rpm drop and the smell. Clutch burning could smell like burning wires if you haven't smelled a clutch knowing it was the clutch. Try jacking up the truck and putting it in gear and seeing if it turns the wheels at all with no load on them.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'll bet that in 1 and 1/2 years he got it fixed or gave up and is still not looking for input/help from this forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts