Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search yielded a bunch of nothing for me. I'm trying to figure out what type of tranny is in my bronco without having to crawl under it(hard to get oustide with 2kids in the winter). It's a 1988 FSB 351w, as far as I know it's still stock. I know it was rebuilt. But I think that's it. If anyone could even point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:stupid
:stupid

·
Registered
139 Posts
Trans Identification

Look at the pan on your trans and count the bolts. If it's a C-6 it will have 17-bolts. :thumbup

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
You have the very best setup for wheeling. Heavy duty, cheap to rebuild transmission. About $500 to rebuild at the most. And then you got the efi 351.

The transmission has no overdrive, so it won't be that great for highway driving, but you will be fine gas mileage wise if you do 55 mph or less most of the time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The transmission has no overdrive, so it won't be that great for highway driving, but you will be fine gas mileage wise if you do 55 mph or less most of the time.
I was just about to post asking about overdrive. How hard would it be to put an over drive on it and shorten the rear drive shaft? I'm assuming that's what I'd have to do if I want OD.

And you're right about the gas mileage. If I cruise at 65 I get <8 MPG. If I stick it at 55 I get about 14. Which IMO is really good for a 351 .

I'll re-gear it later once I get a new DD, something gay that gets 30MPG would be nice.

And another question, since I'm on a roll. The stock '88 has an 8.8 or am I just retarded and need to go back to reading?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I wouldn't try to add an external OD unit. The length of the drivetrain stuff is already long enough, and you'd end up with a really damn-short shaft. Not good for flexing. You would be best off getting a well-built AOD, or if you're good at wiring and harness modification, an E4OD.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if it can be wired I can wire it. Just finding the time would be tough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts