Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help form the experts. My (1985 351W C6) transmission isn't shifting. There was no slipping prior to this and yesterday morning out of the blue it is idling rough and seems to be stuck in 2nd gear. I can manually shift it on the column from 1st to 2nd but no third. I referred to the haynes manual and led me to check the vacume modulator. I traced the lines up to the firewall and this is what I found. There is a "bank" of three vacume lines the far left vacume line as you look at it goes over by the heater blower motor, the middle one appears to go back to the transmission and the far right wasn't connected to anything. I looked all around the top end of the engine and cannot find where this last vacume line connects to. For the record I have nothing to do with YAMS.

My true questions:

1. Is this my problem and
2. Where in the hell does this thing connect to.

Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Sounds like the hose that is supposed to connect to that empty space came off. It should go to the main vacuum tree right behind the carborator. If this just happened, it probably fell off and needs to be replaced. Like Steve said, check out the whole vacuum line situation. You might need toreplace some of them. I'll see if I can find a picture of how it is routed.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
RLKBOB said:
cONNECT IT TO ANY MANIFOLD VACUUM SOURCE. !!!!! Did you check to see if you had vacuum at the modulator?
On that engine there are possibly 2 sources, one infront of the carb and the tree right behind the carb. Also, if there is no connection at the small distribution connection on the fire wall there will be no vacuum at the modulator. The other line is for the climate control via a check valve and the vacuum reservoir.

This is the best picture I can come up with of it. You can see the line comming over behind the carborator.

Good luck,

Attachments

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Here is a little bit better picture of the routing.

Attachments

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Steve83 said:
Regardless of the vacuum situation, the trans should shift UP. The vacuum modulator is only a kickDOWN.

Seabronc
Why don't you CLEAN that filthy smog pump??? It makes me SICK! :uke:

:toothless
:histerica

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

That is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too clean and neat and organized.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You Guys Are My Hero's

Seabronc, It was the tree behind the Carb it came off of the nipple on the bottom and I couldn't see it with my untrained eye. I hooked it back up and it ran like top and shifted normal. Thanks for the pic's.

Like I said, you guys are my hero's (sad isn't it) MUCH APPRECIATED.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Steve83 said:
If you don't mind, I'm gonna thieve that pic since it shows the secondary air valves so clearly.
If you do mind, let me know & I'll delete it - no sweat.
No problem, just send me a monthly check :histerica . Like other stuff I put on here, pictures are free. What program do you use to mark it up with?

:thumbup

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Steve, I thought the Red rod on the drivers side was the kickdown??

Regardless it seams like the vacuum line fixed the problem:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Seabronc said:
On that engine there are possibly 2 sources, one infront of the carb and the tree right behind the carb. Also, if there is no connection at the small distribution connection on the fire wall there will be no vacuum at the modulator. The other line is for the climate control via a check valve and the vacuum reservoir.

This is the best picture I can come up with of it. You can see the line comming over behind the carborator.

Good luck,
Seabronc

I can't believe how clean your smog pump is ! Did someone just have his emissions test lately ?

Sixlitre

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
RPDDOC said:
That's what smog stuff looks like on a bko!!! I need some of that stuff. Mine came w/nothing.:shrug
Mine had most of that stuff... for a week:thumbup

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is Great, I purchased a 85 bronco for 450 bucks because it would not shift into drive. I had not clue what it could be, but I could use the part or purchase my friend c6 for a 100 bucks. Then I would have a OK offroad rig. Then I found this site and search for c6 transmission problem and Warhammer had the same problem in which I was having. I read a little down and YES IT WAS THE SAME AS MINE and it works great... Freaking Awsome. Thanks Guys.. Together we all can get it done..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts