Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got all the bolts out and what not. The tranny and tcase is ready to be dropped out. There's only one thing though. The braces that go from the top frame frail to the crossmember are still on the frame! The bolts/nuts are too rusty to get off. So, my question is, will it be ok to run 4wd without the braces? Or will I be SOL until I can get some braces?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm not sure I follow.... they're too rusty to get off, but you need to know if it's okay to run without the kickers?

The kickers are there to tie the crossmember into both legs of the frame channel. It makes the frame stronger... more resistant to torsion.

I have never actually removed the kickers when I pull the crossmember. I just loosen the top bolts enough so that the crossmember can slide out around them.

Make sure you get them plenty tight when you put it back together, too. Something around 90# should be good. Some of the PS bolts were loose on mine for a while... made some popping/cracking noises as the bracket shifted when I turned the front tires.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Damager. :beer

I guess that's what I would be talking about seboh. Sounds like it. I'm guessing then, that it wouldn't be a great idea to run 4wd without them then, huh?

For me, Near Raleigh would be Wendell.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, we should meet up some time, get some wheelin in and what not. There's a few guys I know on pavementsucks.com that know a few places.....but they're Dodge guys.:twak :toothless They're cool though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts