Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if I seem auto-illiterate, but I kinda am. I bought a 1989 Ford Bronco 2 in the summer and I love it, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. For a long time I was having trouble starting it up though. It wouldn't start sometimes until I shifted out of Park into Neutral or any other gear and went back to Park, sometimesit took a few times. Well I think doing that may have messed up the linkage in/to/on (like I said auto-illiterate) the transmition. The one rod moves, but the other doesnt, if that makes any sense. Does anyone here have any advice on how to fix this? Id hate to tow it to a garage and have it "professionally" repaired and it cost $100s of dollars if its something I can fix myself with a little help. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Hey, this is FULL SIZE Bronco Dot com, not MINI Bronco dot com! :goodfinge

Actually, I had an 88 Ranger and my cousing has an 88 BK2. Both had trans linkage issues. Problem is that there are plastic bushings on the linkage rod ends that wear out and Ford doesn't make them anymore. Typically keeps the trans from fully going into park and then the neutral safety switch prevents it from starting like you described. I'd get under their and thoroughly lubricate the rods as that typically helps. Other than that, you could fabricate your own linkage using threaded rod and spherical rod ends, which is what I always planned to do and never got around to before my tranny pooched and the whole truck went to the scrapper. Check out this website http://www.therangerstation.com/ as there should be some info about this issue.

Good luck! BK2s are awesome in the trails due to the short wheelbase, narrow track and tight steering. Put a budget lift in and throw it on 31s, it'll go anywhere! :chili:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts