Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry Raf, I trashed my Milwaukee grinder today. I was just grinding off tack welds to remove the expanded steel from my mob-yle home (that's fancy talk for white trash trailer) stairs.

It's seen a good bit of hard use tho, and I just happen to still have the box, so Home Depot is exchanging it tomorrow whether they like it or not. It's scary, lots of fireworks in the back of grinder (comes out the vents and glows thru the red plastic), it sounds super sickly and smokes like mad.

Actually I'm gonna see if they can order the big daddy, still 4.5" but 12amp motor:

http://www.jimslimstools.com/detail.aspx?ID=1407

For approx $20 more this seems like a hell of deal to go from an 8.5amp motor to a 12amp motor.

Also AX, I just picked up two of those 5" grinders from HF you seem to like.... paddle switch, 3 position handle, etc. I call BS, those things suck for real use. The first one got so hot I couldn't handle it with quality Mechanix gloves, and it bogs/stalls pretty easy... then it went the way of the Milwaukee (lots of smoke looks cool but smells bad). I had to let it cool for a half hour before I could touch it with bare hands. It's going back to HF.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Sale Price: $221.00 $117.00
(Savings: $104.00)

Haha, I like how they make up bogus MSRP's so it seems like you save a ton of money.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I cant believe you trashed that baby....
Man o man I got attached to that thing pretty quick...LOL

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
buy a half dozen $5.00 specials from Ebay ............ they should last ya about 5 years for half the price :thumbup

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
wow. i am on my first one still and i have had it over 2 years i think. i did my fenders, cut U bolts and sway bars with it. grinded all the crap off my D60RC down to the bare tubes. i parted out a 79 bronco & a 76 F150 with it. radiused out the <O> for my D60. i chopped the corner off the factory steering arm on my front D60 when i couldnt get the stud out. first it ground the corner down enough to remove the taper, then cut down to 1/8" from the knuckle thru 1" of metal. i just let the wheels do the work and dont press so hard. i run it all day, never has gotten hot. dont know what to tell you. when in doubt, thats my first choice tool in a hard spot. i get people coming up with all kinds of ideas if something is stuck or whatever. i grab the grinder and cut it or wear it down. plus its not a big heavy bastard if you have a long project to do.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think that's the difference.........I do press it hard and work it hard. I've come to expect it from my Milwaukee, it is (was) a workhorse. It's amazing how much more quickly the Milwaukee will take off metal than cheaper units because you don't have to baby it. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
yeah we still have our original one from like 3 years ago. it wont quite. the key is let the ginder do all the work dont push it hard.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Milwaukee's rock. Something that seems to help the angle grinders live a little longer is to tape off the vents unless you're gonna run it long. Most of the problems we have with them on jobsites is they get slag and dust in there while they're just laying on the bench. The brushes don't like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts