Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I cut a skid in half and reconnected it with hinges then added legs with hinges to make a V crawl. The thing folds up pretty small and is easy to move.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
It’s pretty incredible how far these RC cars have come over the years. I had an old nitro powered truck in the early 2000s, but those have all but disappeared in favor of the electrics. Probably for good reason

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a Traxas nitro truck around then too. It was such a pain to start. Seemed like the motors never lasted. But I bought 2 scx 10 for my son and I. We love them. So much easier to use than nitro.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Testing a new motor and ESC at work the other day.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm going to give a set of these Super Swamper Iroks a try. Other then being small they look just like the real thing.

I bought a set of Pitbull Rock Beast and they just haven't lived up to the hype people give them. So far my favorite tire has been the Pro-Line Hyrax but they SUCK to mount on non Pro-Line beadlocks.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,878 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but i am looking for some snow tracks or tank tracks for my Traxxas Telluride, Does anyone make them for the Telluride ?? I looked on Traxxas's website and i didn't even see the Telluride listed in the rc's fer sale ! just a clear body for one.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Traxxas just made a set for the TRX, I know nothing about the Telluride.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Backhills RC club had an open house today so our gang went and had a ball!

All but 1 is a TRX4, out of the other 4 only 1 wasn't a Bronco when new.

We were playing follow the leader, once the leader crashed he went to the back of the line and the next guy picked where we went.

Reactions: Quader1

·
Bronco Master
593 Posts
I have a couple of Axial RC rigs and purchased the Traxxas TRX-4 Bronco at the beginning of the year. I’ve been busy enough that I haven’t run the Bronco yet, but I did buy a bunch of upgrades for it. The RC hobby is addictive and it’s easy to spend big $$$ on it. I probably have $1300 in my Bomber, and that is with a cheap brushed motor and ESC, not a high end sensored brushless setup.

·
Registered
689 Posts
They got a good pic of the Bronco chassis getting a work out at the comp I was at Saturday.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Bronco chassis went back to being a Ford again!

That's Prolines 2017 Raptor body.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Boy am I glad Pepe' told me to check for this thread....

I gotz me some readin' to do...
What a thread...212 posts i'll be here all night!

But I just went to a hobby store and saw this thing in all it's glory! Of course because of the covid I couldn't touch it.....

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get one! (I Miss my Bronco's that much!)

Someone talk me off the ledge, or help me make the jump....
If I drop the $560 on this for my fathers day toy (I know its only 459, but batteries not included! Of course! So its another bill for the boosted battery and charger...)

Am I about to get into a money sucking hobby constantly upgrading or think I would be satisfied with the TRX4?

The Summit - Bigger and Faster looks intriguing, but not nearly as cool as the 79 Bronco!

Of course the Mustang is tempting (now that I have a 2014 as my daily driver), especially if it can get to about 70 with a brushless motor, but crawling seems like it would be more fun...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Boy am I glad Pepe' told me to check for this thread....

I gotz me some readin' to do...
What a thread...212 posts i'll be here all night!

But I just went to a hobby store and saw this thing in all it's glory! Of course because of the covid I couldn't touch it.....

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get one! (I Miss my Bronco's that much!)

Someone talk me off the ledge, or help me make the jump....
If I drop the $560 on this for my fathers day toy (I know its only 459, but batteries not included! Of course! So its another bill for the boosted battery and charger...)

Am I about to get into a money sucking hobby constantly upgrading or think I would be satisfied with the TRX4?

The Summit - Bigger and Faster looks intriguing, but not nearly as cool as the 79 Bronco!

Of course the Mustang is tempting (now that I have a 2014 as my daily driver), especially if it can get to about 70 with a brushless motor, but crawling seems like it would be more fun...

It's simple really, if you want to crawl get the TRX4, if you want to jump and bash around get the Summit.

If you get the TRX4 for crawling I highly recommend a 9 tooth pinion gear which is a 32p to gear it down, the stock pinion is an 11 tooth gear. The other weak part is the steering servo ( or any of the stock electronics really) and some guys have them fry the first time out. Mine lasted over a year but they are very weak.

I really like these for a low dollar upgrade servo.

I now run one of these because they can use higher voltage and are more of a mid dollar upgrade.

Another thing I really like about the 3Brothers servo is if the gears strip out, you can just buy a new gear set from them, so they are rebuildable.

The steering horn ( pitman arm) is plastic (like most RCs) so get an aluminum one that pinches onto the servo splines. This one is made specifically for the TRX4 and the one I run.

That's really all I think you need right away. Once you get into it you can replace plastic parts for brass like steering knuckles, portal covers and aluminum axle housings are very popular to add weight down low to keep it planted when crawling. Just keep the weight low and they crawl like a billy goat!

EDIT...… I forgot to say that the TRX4 is one of the toughest RC tucks made and VERY hard to break. I have yet to break a chassis part, just remember that the stock electronics suck for any RTR truck.

So as far as being a money pit, that's up to you once you upgrade the electronics once they go.

Reactions: Zen-Dragon

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Awesome! Thanks fore that reply!

I've been researching my ass off for a few days, have not pulled the trigger, but I think I want to get int this hobby! Looks fun....

I heard from many that I would be replacing the servo right away (even consider buying one right away and just swap it)
I know the 79 Bronco body looks bad ass and I want it BADLY, but kinda scared I'll beat the hell out of it while learning to drive the thing....

So I'm leaning toward the TRX4 Sport Kit... I like to build my own stuff and can always get the Bronco body after the fact. Then I can add my own servo, esc and such from the get go... But the sport doesn't have the locking diff's.. Not sure how much I would use the locking diffs so not sure if its a + or -... Also no 2nd gear, but the gearing is in-between the 2 on the TRX4 and hear it's easier for learning to drive them.

Then last night I learned about the RedCat Gen8 Axe which comes with all the things I would upgrade already done plus it is brushless... No 2nd gear drive though...

Decisions, decisions.....
UGH!!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
The redcat is not built beefy like the TRX and you will break more parts just so you know.

If I got a sport I would add the 2 speed trans, I use both gears all the time and it's very handy.

As far as ESC you can't beat a Hobbywing 1080 for a brushed motor. They are cheap and can be tuned to however you want with the included tuning card.

As far as brushed motors the king is Holmes Hobbies 550 trailmaster sport.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts