Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a triangulated four link set up on their front axle?

I did some digging and didn't find anything specific.

I am curious about the driveablity on the highway, obviously for off road it is amazing.

I just figured for the cost of some Duff Radius arms I could do a four link and have more travel and no track bar.

The '78 with a 6" lift has more than enough room under it to run this set up.

Opinions please!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Has anyone done a triangulated four link set up on their front axle?

I did some digging and didn't find anything specific.

I am curious about the driveablity on the highway, obviously for off road it is amazing.

I just figured for the cost of some Duff Radius arms I could do a four link and have more travel and no track bar.

The '78 with a 6" lift has more than enough room under it to run this set up.

Opinions please!!
Triangulated 4 links and regular steering don't play well together. Its a HUGE pain to get the geometry perfect for the steering and suspension to play nice together. If you want a front axle setup, either go with a 3 link with panhard, or a parallel 4 link with panhard. Supposedly, the parallel 4 link will have better on road characteristics, but I can't say for sure.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been doing research on this and the cost of a 4-link is quite a bit more, and down would be more as well.
Then like you said the steering issue.

Is it worth it even for a parallel four link? Would there be much to gain over radius arms?

What about a 3-link? What are the road manners of 3-link with a track bar like?
Would a 3-link be similar to a radius arm set up?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
It is true a parallel 4 link works best with road manners due to the fact you are keeping control points out-boarded (most outward of the axle) but a triangulated 4link will work for street duty as well as long as you can ensure the proper steering geometry is used. By using the 4-link set up, you aren't actually changing your steering, you are changing the way the suspension cycles. It won't have any ill effect on steering as long as all the alignment #'s are correct. It's much easier to do a 3-link with a panhard bar, it leaves less room for error and still flexes amazingly well. You will find most set ups are a 3-link, and I haven't heard anyone say "wow my 3-link sucks, should have gone 4-link to begin with"

Unless you are an extreme wheeler (which I doubt if you are saying your truck also does street duty) then a 3-link will be sufficient for anything you could possibly use it for. Check the SAS section to look at everyone elses 3-link builds. They are plentiful.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For street use just buy a set of duff arms and a set of deaver springs. They flex well and perform great on the street.

http://www.jamesduff.com/newproducts/newproducts.asp

This is more than likely the way I will go. I have Deavers up front already and placed an order for rear Alcan springs yesterday.

The length and with the heims I know they flex very well and are streetable to boot.:thumbup
My thoughts were I could do a 3 or 4 link for the same price as the Duff arms and I thought I should investigate.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I looked into 4 linking the rear of my truck But the $$$ adds up quick if you do it right. It is still in my future plans but I thought it was more important at the time to get a build complete to a running condition.:doh0715:

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point there!

I also have don't have much knowledge about the geometry of a 4 link and would have someone helping which would raise the cost.
With radius arms I can do the wole thing myself.

All of this is in anticipation of putting a D60 under the front in the spring, so I still have plenty of time to sort things out!

If it were the rear something like this would make things much easier!

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Yes it does and that is part of my future plans. Right now I have way to many more important thing I want to do first. Like a cage and twin stick my tcase.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh twin stick and a 203/205 doubler! I wish!!!

Although I am getting a great deal on these with those funky Orbit Eyes. About $200 less than Deavers, guess I will see how they compare.

That $200 will be going into a traction bar for the rear.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
oh twin stick and a 203/205 doubler! I wish!!!

Although I am getting a great deal on these with those funky Orbit Eyes. About $200 less than Deavers, guess I will see how they compare.

That $200 will be going into a traction bar for the rear.
I want to say that people who have used those have expierienced very poor road manners. There was also a company that built some that pivoted the whole spring perch, but they also expierienced the same negative effects, so they modded it so that they could keep it from pivoting

·
Registered
20 Posts
I want to say that people who have used those have expierienced very poor road manners. There was also a company that built some that pivoted the whole spring perch, but they also expierienced the same negative effects, so they modded it so that they could keep it from pivoting
well im not too sure about what im saying but ive bought different styles of rod ends before you know [heim joints] some seem like they would allow a good bit more travel

im not sure if they have rod ends with a limited amount of degrees they can move? almost sounds like bump stops for them lol :popc1:

·
Registered
805 Posts
well im not too sure about what im saying but ive bought different styles of rod ends before you know [heim joints] some seem like they would allow a good bit more travel

im not sure if they have rod ends with a limited amount of degrees they can move? almost sounds like bump stops for them lol :popc1:
The company that malofish was referring to that make the pivoting perches is BC Broncos. And I vaguely remember seeing the modification to stop them from pivoting. The guy that install them used some small square tubing to build brackets, that he would slide in to stop the pivoting while driving the bronco on the road, and would remove it when offroading.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I assume you guys are talking about the Alcan Springs....

I know several guys that have them and have driven a 4runner with them. The trick is to put the pivot in the rear hanger only.
If you put them in both they are terrible on the highway, but with it in the rear only you get a good ride and great articulation.

Now obviously a 4runner is not the same as a Bronco, but it does have a 6" lift with 36" tires so it is close.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I assume you guys are talking about the Alcan Springs....

I know several guys that have them and have driven a 4runner with them. The trick is to put the pivot in the rear hanger only.
If you put them in both they are terrible on the highway, but with it in the rear only you get a good ride and great articulation.

Now obviously a 4runner is not the same as a Bronco, but it does have a 6" lift with 36" tires so it is close.
I was talking about spring rockers from BC Broncos.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/suspensionrear.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts