Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know most people dont have an engine big enough for using these intakes but does anybody know if either the Trickflow Box-R intake or the Edelbrock Victor EFI intake have any fitment issues in a truck? ive heard of firewall interference issues with the Box-R. if so how bad? hammer some clearence bad or cut and weld firewall bad?

i already have a Trickflow lower so the Box-R would be nice to jsut buy an upper for. otherwise someone is selling the EFI Victor for a decent price considering it is discontinued.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,992 Posts
@445 FE Bronco has a box-R but idk if he ever got it installed. And i havent seen him in a while.

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i guess there were a few threads about it on Lightning forum. some say some hammering on firewall made it fit. some say doesnt fit under hood without hammering it. some say will not work with poly motor mounts that raise engine. soem say they had to mill 1/4" off the adapter between the upper and lower. so i ended up buying the EFI Victor. i think ill have more luck making it fit. i still could buy the Box R upper and try it also and sell the Victor later . got it for an OK price for a discontinued set. but with the JBG motor mounts and the Autofab trans mount that raise both the engine and trans i think it would be a big issue

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,992 Posts
Yikes thats tall! Notice in the last pic that its slid forward...

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya. honestly i dont get why they made the Box-R so it needs to use a 1" tall adapter to use it on the lower. or why they dont offer a thinner adapter since alot of people have 1/4" machined off of it anyways.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,992 Posts
And you have to run the spacer? Why? Thats dumb. Always liked the looks of the inside of those.

I think the victor will be better for torque anyways. What rpm do you run up to? Isnt the box R for the like 3500 and up rpms?

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its for my 96s 408 build which is taking forever to save up for. 7 months now and still dotn have money for it. its going to have AFR205 heads, custom grind cam, its overgeared with 5.13 and 35-37" tires. slightly higher stall converter. cam grinder specified short big runners but large plenum to make the cam profile work. he said Box R or the Victor. the SuperVictor doesnt have enough plenum but the R-series 90mm is is too long of runner

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the Victor intake today. the PO said it was never mounted but was not stored well. some sandblasting should fix that up, otherwise does looks great. it was $550 which i still consider much better than something like the Edelbrock Truck intake thats about $1k. it is also pretty tall but i still think it will be better fitment than the Box-R.

one thing i jsut realized i should have known before is that this is only a 75mm intake. i assumed it was a 90mm intake because the Box-R and a version of the R-series are 90mm. not sure if 75mm will be enough for me so i may have to port it to a bigger TB. i do have a 75mm TB from my old Trickflow R intake so i can at least run 75mm for now.

theres soo little info on the Victor EFI intake because its been discontinued. but i guess even with the 75mm intake its suppose to be very good. only really info i can find is on FlowTechIndiuction which Ed, the owner, is who designed my custom grind cam and is where i bought my customized AFR205 heads from. on the site it says:

"Designed for 351 Windsor based competition engines, the Victor 5.8L EFI intake manifold is capable of supporting over 700 horsepower! This Victor 5.8L Ford manifold is designed for engine displacements of up to 427 cubic inches. It features the race winning "air-gap" design which isolates the intake charge from the engine heat that is present in the lifter valley. The 12.5'' runner length is optimized for sustainable power levels at 7500+ RPM. RPM Range: 4000-7500 (Depending on displacement)"

·
Registered
177 Posts
So you're a few steps ahead of me on the 408. Originally I was going to build with afr185s or tf 11r 170 heads, a lightning intake, and a cam from Ed. I want monster torque down low so I decided to pitch that and do a 408 on my 96.

Why the 205 heads? Good score on that Edelbrock intake. Did Ed want you to go with the box r? Even for a 408, I would think the power band with that thing is going to be higher that what I would want. I essentially want diesel like torque in lower rpm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's all about power under the curve, while a box intake may sacrifice a little off idle torque, with the right cam, it will make more power everywhere else.

I purchased an intake and cam package from Ed as well. He sold me on the holley hi ram for my 347. He port matched it to my 11r 205 heads. With the cam he specced it should have a flat torque curve from 2000-6000rpm, estimated about 450 ft lbs at the wheels.

As kingfish999 mentioned Ed is very specific about intakes with his cams, there are requirements for plenum size, runner length and cross section to maximize his combos.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,992 Posts
the SuperVictor doesnt have enough plenum but the R-series 90mm is is too long of runner
Looks like you could make a spacer for the plenum cover to enlarge the plenum

·
Registered
177 Posts
Did you consider the Holley high ram for 351w they came out with?

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did you consider the Holley high ram for 351w they came out with?
i did consider them. i think the front inlet version needs a special low profile distributor and i just didn't want to mess with it despite i liek the looks of it. the side one would probably have been fine. but i think it uses too big of a TB for my usage anyways and i thought the side inlet was kidna ugly

So you're a few steps ahead of me on the 408. Originally I was going to build with afr185s or tf 11r 170 heads, a lightning intake, and a cam from Ed. I want monster torque down low so I decided to pitch that and do a 408 on my 96.

Why the 205 heads? Good score on that Edelbrock intake. Did Ed want you to go with the box r? Even for a 408, I would think the power band with that thing is going to be higher that what I would want. I essentially want diesel like torque in lower rpm.
i was actually going to use AFR220 but the funky exhaust port made me go 205.

my previous engine was a 425ci (418 stroker but 60 overbore) and had AFR 185 heads and Trickflow R-series 75mm intake, Comp 35-514-8 cam. it made mad torque off throttle but was such a turd over 1k rpm, felt like a stock 351. i tried to figure out the issue for like 3 years and decided back in December to ordering a custom cam, AFR205 and bigger intake to make it decent. then on Newyears Eve, the engine had a complete failure. i didnt actually know extent of damage at the time but i did know i bent majority of valves for the heads so i went ahread and ordered the heads. wasnt till i pulled and disassembled the engine did i realize about everything on the engine was a total loss. so now i have a custom cam and AFR205 heads laying around and no shortblock for them

i actually have not even ordered a stroker kit yet. i have an old F4TE block (trucks original engine) and one day i need to have it machined and make sure its in good shape. then ill order the stroker kit. but money due to Covid and other projects has made it slow saving money. my 302 in my F250 suddenly spinning a bearing did not help. but i still like browsing Corrals for sale section and saw this intake pop up for sale, so i jumped on it.

he agrees that the 75mm R intake is far too undersized, its meant for a stockish 351w. he originally wanted me to go Box-R but i was concerned about firewall clearence even then so i asked him about changing my upper 75mm R to the 90mm R upper, he said this:
"Here's the deal... the long runner "R" upper is barely enough for a decent 302/306 build so a 425 will starve. You need shorter runners and more plenum to make this work. Too bad Edelbrock discontinued the Victor 5.8 intake, it was a good piece. "
thats what made me jump on this intake when i saw it for sale

funny thing is i think because of one of your threads about the Lightning intake and then someone posting a Lightning intake for sale on Corral for $1200, made me think of possibly using 302-to-351 intake adapters to use a Explroer GT40 intake to make a 'poormans' Lightning intake. but after making a thread about it, i guess the Lightning intake does actually flow significantly better than the Explorer intake. a ported Explorer intake is only similar to the Lightning and the Lightning can be ported decently. then the thread turned into GT40 porting argument

i see now your looking for a Victor intake yourself now on Corral lol. i cant guarentee it fits out trucks yet, but i THINK it will fit better than the Box-R. i could possibly sell you my Trickflwo R 75mm if you wanted

Looks like you could make a spacer for the plenum cover to enlarge the plenum
the Box-R and Edelbrock Victor have enough plenum. but the Edelbrock Super Victor intake is basically a carb style intake thats commonly used with a 90* elbow and has bungs for MPFI. there is little plenum on it. does make a very clean look tho without having an upper intake.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i did consider them. i think the front inlet version needs a special low profile distributor and i just didn't want to mess with it despite i liek the looks of it. the side one would probably have been fine. but i think it uses too big of a TB for my usage anyways and i thought the side inlet was kidna ugly

i was actually going to use AFR220 but the funky exhaust port made me go 205.

my previous engine was a 425ci (418 stroker but 60 overbore) and had AFR 185 heads and Trickflow R-series 75mm intake, Comp 35-514-8 cam. it made mad torque off throttle but was such a turd over 1k rpm, felt like a stock 351. i tried to figure out the issue for like 3 years and decided back in December to ordering a custom cam, AFR205 and bigger intake to make it decent. then on Newyears Eve, the engine had a complete failure. i didnt actually know extent of damage at the time but i did know i bent majority of valves for the heads so i went ahread and ordered the heads. wasnt till i pulled and disassembled the engine did i realize about everything on the engine was a total loss. so now i have a custom cam and AFR205 heads laying around and no shortblock for them

i actually have not even ordered a stroker kit yet. i have an old F4TE block (trucks original engine) and one day i need to have it machined and make sure its in good shape. then ill order the stroker kit. but money due to Covid and other projects has made it slow saving money. my 302 in my F250 suddenly spinning a bearing did not help. but i still like browsing Corrals for sale section and saw this intake pop up for sale, so i jumped on it.

he agrees that the 75mm R intake is far too undersized, its meant for a stockish 351w. he originally wanted me to go Box-R but i was concerned about firewall clearence even then so i asked him about changing my upper 75mm R to the 90mm R upper, he said this:
"Here's the deal... the long runner "R" upper is barely enough for a decent 302/306 build so a 425 will starve. You need shorter runners and more plenum to make this work. Too bad Edelbrock discontinued the Victor 5.8 intake, it was a good piece. "
thats what made me jump on this intake when i saw it for sale

the Box-R and Edelbrock Victor have enough plenum. but the Edelbrock Super Victor intake is basically a carb style intake thats commonly used with a 90* elbow and has bungs for MPFI. there is little plenum on it. does make a very clean look tho without having an upper intake.

Ed actually told me the same thing. So I guess if you come across another let me know. I actually posted a WTB ad on corral after seeing this post.

Than being said I'm really leaning towards the Holley setup. I'm sure there is some kind of adapter to run a smaller LS throttle body than 95mm.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,992 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
That was also me selling the lightning intake lol. Given how much people are paying, I've had zero interest. I'm surprised I haven't sold it.

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah I gotcha. Id pass on the super victor for the local intake on CL... A 9.2 deck windsor IMCA eddy performer SVO intake. For 130 bucks its a steal.

NEW!! FORD 351W IMCA 9.2 Deck EDELBROCK Performer SVO - auto parts -...
thats a carb only intake im assuming. honestly im kinda confised by that whole CL ad. the SuperVictor i was talinig about is for EFI. it has bungs for mounting injectors. there is also a carb SuperVictor since its basicly the same casting. one of my pics didnt load correctly.

That was also me selling the lightning intake lol. Given how much people are paying, I've had zero interest. I'm surprised I haven't sold it.
oh i see, that was your ad. i did see your ad for WTB the Victor. i dont know a hole lot about the Lightning intakes. but on ebay there defiantly $$$. see one jsut like yours for $1500
but thats still alot of money for an OEM intake. ill never understand why they so expensive

·
Registered
177 Posts
thats a carb only intake im assuming. honestly im kinda confised by that whole CL ad. the SuperVictor i was talinig about is for EFI. it has bungs for mounting injectors. there is also a carb SuperVictor since its basicly the same casting. one of my pics didnt load correctly.

oh i see, that was your ad. i did see your ad for WTB the Victor. i dont know a hole lot about the Lightning intakes. but on ebay there defiantly $$$. see one jsut like yours for $1500
but thats still alot of money for an OEM intake. ill never understand why they so expensive
For a mild build they're pretty good. The GT40 intake flows really good numbers based on the research I saw I put down more low-end torque than all the other intakes. I think what I saw was it marginally be the Edelbrock intake. The biggest thing for them is there a Ford OEM piece and they look pretty. The tubular upper is one of the best looking intakes I've ever seen. the only reason I'm looking to sell what I already purchased is the GT40 intake could be a choking point on a 408.

·
Man of endless projects
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
from what Tmoss said the Lightning flows about 273cfm average stock, can be ported to flow abit better to 300cfm. for comparison the 302 GT40 only flows 205cfm stock and 250-270 ported. no idea what some of these aftermarekt intakes flow however. but i do imagine they would probably be better tho the GT40 might be OK

found this that mentioend aftermarket intakes flow as stock

im just over the 'low rpm torque' build. i tried it, didnt like it. my F250 build is almost an inverse of having more rpm with less power to accomplish the same goal. and honestly i much perfer it. its weird to think a 302 with budegt aluminum heads and abit more axle gearing could keep up with a 425ci with a much higher end build. and in a signifiacntly cheaper way. thats when i realized that its better to utilize the higher rpm ranges and use more alxe gearing. sure top speed will be lower but who wants to go 140mph in a bronco?

·
Registered
177 Posts
from what Tmoss said the Lightning flows about 273cfm average stock, can be ported to flow abit better to 300cfm. for comparison the 302 GT40 only flows 205cfm stock and 250-270 ported. no idea what some of these aftermarekt intakes flow however. but i do imagine they would probably be better tho the GT40 might be OK

found this that mentioend aftermarket intakes flow as stock

im just over the 'low rpm torque' build. i tried it, didnt like it. my F250 build is almost an inverse of having more rpm with less power to accomplish the same goal. and honestly i much perfer it. its weird to think a 302 with budegt aluminum heads and abit more axle gearing could keep up with a 425ci with a much higher end build. and in a signifiacntly cheaper way. thats when i realized that its better to utilize the higher rpm ranges and use more alxe gearing. sure top speed will be lower but who wants to go 140mph in a bronco?
Fair enough. Yeah my build is low rpm focussing on idle to 3500 rpm. But I plan on slow speeds in mountains when I move back to the west coast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts