Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Made a decent amount of progress..Got the rust encapsalator sprayed in the b-pillars and touched up the frame rails. Also finished painting the cab corners and the front valance area also did some touch up on a few other spots..was funny my wife came out while I was working and said that it looked good..She has never made a comment before about the Bronco looking good, so that's saying something..It must have really looked bad....

Before..

Before..

After..

It was hot as blazes yesterday so I tried to move things into the garage...so close..

Better pic of my b-pillar patch..not pretty but it will get the job done..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Inner fender liner..This was a lot more work than I thought it would be..had to keep test fitting and removing..cut a little more here a there until it was reasonably good..the irregularity of the curve of th wheel well made it tough..now that I have a decent outline of the shape, I may go back later on and make some better ones that have better coverage, but for now this will do..

Once I get them all done, I'll pull these off, fill in those spots where I cut the fender, paint and reattach....

Fronts are next..not looking forward to, on the plus side they don't need to be as wide, but the remaining plastic from the factory inner fenders is an irregular shape so I'm going to have to get creative..more to come.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
Inners look good to me, Nice n Functional. They will look even better with mud and such on them.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Inners look good to me, Nice n Functional. They will look even better with mud and such on them.
Thanks..there's an old trick where you spray pam on the insides of the fenders to keep the mud from sticking..the stuff we get into down here clumps like cement..not fun cleaning it off..

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update..For the front I'm going to have to do it in two pieces. It will make it a lot easier..not really a big deal..the part closest to the firewall was pretty easy..

once I get all of the new liners done, I may use them as a template and make something a little more substantial down the road..at the very least I plan to trace the pattern on some poster board just in case they get ripped to hell..

while I was at it, I spent some time cleaning up my bumper (by hand). In the nearly 20 plus years I've had this I don't think it's ever been cleaned..a buffer of some sort would have been nice but I don't have one..went through an entire tube of Flitz and it's looking better but there still room for improvement....

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finished most of the painting and 2 and 1/2 of the 4 fender liners..Had to redo one of them and added weather stripping between the new liner and the fender..Like I said, my painting is good from far, but far from good..overall not a bad job using rattle cans and the liners are a huge improvement....

Figured out it was much easier working with two pieces rather than one..This is the one I had to redo..

Last corner..I've got the sheeting already cut, hoping I have time to get it knocked out today..new winch line is supposed to be here so I'll be able to get the bumper back on..getting close..

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
What if you got some edge molding to go along the wheel well? some simple adhesive angle would do. If you did bedliner on the rocker it would probably look pretty good. Or even bedliner on the rocker and maybe 1/2 inch to an inch of bedliner around the wheels would hide the imperfections.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Not sure about the molding..Don't want to add anything else with adhesive if I can avoid it..

I was going to use rubberized rustoleum spray for the liners but the paint on would probably be better..

an edge around the wheel well is actually a good idea..would definitely help with the imperfections.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
If you're going to paint any more just do bedliner and you can do everything at once. Undercoating looks good at first but tends to load up with junk. Bedliner will actually add some structural rigidity.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I've got a spot or two that I'm going to touch up on the roof, but otherwise, I'm done with painting..side note, about 3 weeks ago I started noticing these big bubbles in my hood. Clear coat is shot and it's pulling off in chunks..Thinking I'll repaint the hood (spray gun not rattle can) but with something other than white..maybe a flat beige color.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
Subscribed for home body surgery reference. 😎 (y)

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That bumper is so sick. Sad, I don’t think they make them anymore.
Thanks. No they don't make them anymore, and they haven't for a while..was trying to source some replacement bumper pads and can't even find those..

It was in need of a good cleaning, probably spent a good 2 or 3 hours on it and I'm still not done, but it's much better than it was before..

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Thanks. No they don't make them anymore, and they haven't for a while..was trying to source some replacement bumper pads and can't even find those..

It was in need of a good cleaning, probably spent a good 2 or 3 hours on it and I'm still not done, but it's much better than it was before..
It should clean up pretty easy with a pressure washer, and the DA would shine it up pretty quick. Post a pick of those bumper pads, I'm sure we can come up with something.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It should clean up pretty easy with a pressure washer, and the DA would shine it up pretty quick. Post a pick of those bumper pads, I'm sure we can come up with something.
Need to pick up a DA buffer..that's my list. Went through half my shop towels polishing it..what kind do you have?

here's what looked like. the pads had bolts embedded that went through the bumper..

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Harbor freight variable speed DA. 5.5" lake country backing plate. I run different pad brands. griots red for finishing (wax), Lake country or similar medium cut orange for buffing.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
All the trim is back on for the front, the off road lights are remounted..This bumper makes it a real PITA to get the trim off. You have to remove the grill before taking the side pieces out, kind of like a jigsaw puzzle..Got frustrated and dropped and cracked one of the side marker lights, I was so pissed. Fortunately, I may have a replacement in the attic..Finished the last fender liner yesterday..may have to redo the passenger rear (current one doesn't have enough coverage) but I know what I'm doing now so it will go a lot faster.

Yesterday I removed the softop to clean it and realized that it's pretty much toast (literally)..the fabric is crunchy on top..Lesson learned about cleaning it with a bleach solution...I plan to nurse it through the summer and buy a new one in the fall.

Aside from that, I still need to re-spool the winch line and clean out the inside, but all in all it's 100 times better than before...Will be nice to be able to drive it around again, next up are some minor mechanical things that I've been putting off..

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
186 Posts
@jermil01 LOL! Now I don’t feel so bad that I’m going on 4 years with my FJ40 brake issues...6 ehhh? Glad to see you’re getting to it. Kudos on welding...I’ve always wanted to learn.

Word of advice: DO NOT SELL BRONCO!

Fox bodies: Absolutely. Heck yeah...get’em while you can. It’s a buyer’s market...like another member said.....you CAN have more than one toy!

My fav Fox is not the GT. I like the notch backs with the 5.0 and 5 sp. Same as the FL highway patrol used. There’s one on CL now, with all the FHP markings!

Good luck welding the arches!

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
186 Posts
@jermil01 That is an awesome bumper for sure. I was looking for one, closes I’ve found to your’s is $900 and no where as good. Then I saw kits for around $1,200 you weld.

I’d really like a bumper I can bolt a winch too. Anyways, a friend of a friend just bought this. Only pics he sent. Forced induction! I prefer a V8!

Get a Fox!
99E4459E-183D-477E-AB9F-AB1B03C71864.jpeg
33A40E3F-2EC8-45DA-8B60-DF48A425AE67.jpeg

41 - 60 of 67 Posts